Program Officer Public Engagement - Oxfam Canada
Internal/External Posting Notice
Title: Program Officer Public Engagement
Department: Policy and Campaigns
Status: Full-time, 2-year term, unionized
Location: Ottawa, ON
Immediate Supervisor: Manager, Campaigns
Salary: $62,814.53 - $82,659.63
Level: Band 2
Application Deadline: September 30, 2021
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women's rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Manager, Campaigns, the Program Officer – Public Engagement will lead the implementation of public engagement program activities in Canada across various institutionally funded projects, ensuring quality delivery, effective compliance and timely reporting. Programming – both in-person and online – could include events, exhibits, workshops, conferences, seminars, campaigns, communications content and the creation and dissemination of educational resources.
Oxfam Canada’s current portfolio of public engagement activities has a high emphasis on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), though a variety of additional issues will also be worked on.
Under the direction of the Manager, Campaign, the Program Officer - Public Engagement works with campaigns, communications and program staff across Oxfam Canada, as well as civil society partners, and the Manager, to maintain effective operational and reporting relationships with funders and other stakeholders, and to deliver program activities on time and on budget. The Program Officer - Public Engagement may also engage with a range of stakeholders within Oxfam and externally to promote Oxfam programs, advance good practices and disseminate learnings.
The Program Officer - Public Engagement is a people’s person who enjoys making connections and building support for women’s rights and gender justice issues. They will use sophisticated customer relationship management systems, such as Salesforce, and digital campaigning tools, such as Engaging Networks, to communicate with our supporters and the public and encourage them to take actions in support of our work.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
1. Project Implementation (approximately 80% level of effort)
- lead the development, execution, and coordination of public engagement programming in collaboration with others in the project teams;
- ensure timely submission of narrative and financial reports in accordance with contractual requirements with Global Affairs Canada and other donors (including coordinating with Canadian partners for inputs, report analysis, synthesizing of information and editing) and make use of appropriate project management documents and tools (logic models, report templates, performance measurement frameworks, budgets);
- ensure accurate project budgeting, and close monitoring of spending and progress on meeting co-financing obligations (including developing annual budgets and periodic reforecasts, with input from project teams, and monitoring for donor compliance and fraud risk);
- oversee contractual agreements with stakeholders, ultimate beneficiaries, partners and consultants (including reporting, liaison and accountability functions);
- monitor, both remotely and in-person, partner agreements, work plans, reports and performance for compliance with program contracts; and,
- maintain a current understanding of domestic and international development issues, in relation to gender justice and women’s rights, and including Canadian government policies and programs related to the designated project portfolio.
2. Influencing and Campaign Support (15% level of effort)
- support strategic campaigning and outreach activities including email campaigns, petition drives, public events and speaking engagements, media stunts and social media activities and creative engagement initiatives – online and offline - as defined by campaign plans.
- act as a visible and dynamic ambassador for Oxfam Canada with volunteers, allies and coalitions.
- engage in organizational processes including team meetings, hiring/selection committees, working groups and committees as assigned;
- ensure effectiveness of cross-organizational linkages with other departments;
- engage in select Oxfam International groups, spaces and processes;
3. New Business Development (approximately 5% level of effort)
- contribute to the design and development of the public engagement component of new proposals being prepared for institutional donors
- engage with project inception processes as required
4. Other related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & COMPETENCIES:
- University degree in a directly related area such as international development, political science, gender studies, adult education or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum three years’ experience in a community or non profit organization,
- Demonstrated experience in public engagement programming, and specifically on women’s rights and gender equality;
- Demonstrated commitment to global justice, women’s rights, gender equality and social change, as well as feminist ways of working.
- Understanding of the policies, practices and requirements of a range of institutional funders, especially Global Affairs Canada;
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, including demonstrated experience managing accountability/implementation processes (contract compliance including financial and narrative reporting);
- Highly developed interpersonal skills (notably facilitation skills, mobilization and organizing skills) and passion for connecting with people;
- Excellent written and spoken English, including strong analytical and report-writing abilities;
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders;
- Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail and data base systems, use of social media;
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a wide range of cultural and political settings;
- Willingness to sign and abide the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
- Ability to travel in Canada and internationally;
B. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: The following qualifications are considered significant assets
- Professional training in gender and/or project management;
- Experience in sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and/or violence against women and girls (VAWG) programming;
- Experience in innovative approaches to monitoring and evaluation of public engagement projects;
- Experience in the documentation and dissemination of project and program learning;
- Working knowledge of French.
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit oxfam.ca/employment-opportunities. Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
We welcome you to join our movement – sign up for news and updates today.