Program Director - Nellie's
Nellie’s operates a 36 bed emergency shelter for women and children who are seeking shelter and/or leaving violence. Nellie’s also operates an independent Community Support and Outreach (C.S.O.) site delivering programs for low income and socially isolated women and children living in the community. Nellie’s provides the resources and essential programs for all women and children to ensure their voices are heard by increasing awareness about their rights and responsibilities. We are committed to effecting change, including removing barriers and improving the conditions that affect women’s lives.
Mission & Value:
Our Mission is to operate programs and services for women and children who had or are experiencing oppressions such as violence, poverty and homelessness. Nellie’s is a community-based feminist organization which operates within an anti-racist, anti-oppression framework. We are committed to social change through education and advocacy, to achieve social justice for all women and children.
At Nellie’s, we value, honour and respect the word of survivors. We believe every woman & child has the right to live a life free from violence and oppression.
Summary of Duties:
Currently we are seeking an experienced, strong, visionary Program Director to participate in the operation of the organization, develop short and long range plans for the shelter and the community support and outreach programs and services, as well as managing a unionized staff team. This position reports to the Executive Director and serves as an integral member of the management team.
Nellie’s is committed to the development of an agency that reflects the women it serves. This position is open to all women*. Woman* signifies anyone who self-identifies as female, femme and/or woman. This includes transwomen, cisgender women, non-binary people who identify as femme or female presenting. Applications from equity seeking groups are strongly encouraged.
- Consistently demonstrates and upholds the core beliefs of Nellie’s mission, vision and values within and outside of the organization. Acts as a positive Ambassador for the organization at all times.
- Must adhere and commit to Nellie’s AR/AO principles with clients and colleagues.
- Support each client without bias or preferential treatment.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding organizational operations and personal details of clients/residents.
- Meets deadlines and is capable of prioritizing their work in response to organizational and client needs.
- Able to deal effectively with job related stress and handle crisis situations.
- Is flexible, focused, and committed to building a positive team environment.
- Must respond to all calls, voicemails and emails within a timely manner.
1. Planning and Development
- Manages the development of the service and program component of the annual operating plan.
- Initiates and manages the implementation and evaluation of the service and program component, including qualitative and quantitative data.
- Recommends changes necessary to continue program effectiveness and efficiency.
- Oversees the development of work plans for direct reports.
- Actively pursues funding for programs.
- Assists in the preparation of funding proposals with development team.
- Participates in or leads the development or implementation of improvements in key areas of agency activity.
- Participates actively in the senior management team, providing leadership, support and input.
2. Service Delivery
- Articulates responsibilities and delegates’ authority for service and program delivery.
- Ensures the development and implementation of systems and protocols to ensure effective service delivery.
- Ensures that services and programs consistently meet client needs and funders/donors agreements.
- Evaluates and resolves issues/concerns regarding program and service delivery, in consultation with staff, Supervisor/Coordinators and the Executive Director.
- Ensures the agency's standard of services and programs is consistent with legislative and regulative requirements, Board policy and directives, an anti-racism/anti-oppression, feminist framework and other best practices.
- Coordinates and monitors service and program evaluations to ensure goals and objectives are being met.
- Distributes reports to the Executive Director, other Managers and staff for information and action.
- Ensures compliance with MCCSS and City Shelter Standards and all government legislative requirements
- Ensures data collection is properly and timely entered into the WISH and SMIS systems in an accurate and non-judgemental manner.
- Will be a part of an on-call rotation for operations.
- Implements and maintains the Programs Budget Allocation.
- Provides input into annual budget planning process to ensure adequate staffing and resources for service and program delivery.
- Monitors Program expenditures to ensure they are within annual budget allocations.
4. Internal Committee
- Provides leadership and assists in the planning and implementation of meeting agendas and work plans for the Social Justice and Accessibility Committee of the Board, as well as other Projects identified by the committee.
5. Human Resources
- Ensures coompliance of the Human Resource System for service and program staff, students and volunteers.
- Direct and interpret organization’s policies and procedures clearly to staff and volunteers.
- Ensures the appropriate recruitment, selection, orientation, training and evaluation of staff in the service and program areas.
- Ensure training and development needs for all programs and service related staff and volunteers are identified and appropriate training, development and human resource strategies are implemented ensuring adherence to all governance, administrative and operational policies and procedures of the agency.
- Ensures reports for information and action are distributed to the Executive Director and/or appropriate staff.
- Implement all practices according to the Collective Agreement
- Provides or ensures the monitoring, measurement and evaluation of performance in comparison to objectives/plans and provides feedback.
- Determine areas of improvement for employees, providing additional training as needed
- Communicate effectively and use a professional approach with all team members, managers, supervisors, clients, and stakeholders
- Promotes and maintains good communication between management and staff, among staff, students and volunteers by consultative and collaborative team work.
6. Community Networking
- Develops and maintains community resource contacts and partnerships.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director coordinates advocacy and education in relation to issues of woman abuse, violence against women and women’s equality rights and participates in advocacy and awareness initiatives and activities.
- Represents the organization as appropriate on community committees, taskforces and working groups dealing with issues impacting women and or children’s lives.
- Respond to external request for information, advise and assist on issues impacting women and children
- Participates in public consultation and review of community services as required.
- Oversee the coordination of community events i.e. Pride, Take Back the Night, etc.
- Support Fund Development Department as required.
- Represents the organization with the media, including participating in interviews when appropriate.
- Adhere to all policies, procedures, guidelines, routines and requirements of the organization and ensures Nellie’s Vision, Mission and Values are adhered to within programs and community work.
- Maintain cooperative work relationships and participate in the general operation of the agency.
- Depending upon the requirements of the organization, prioritizing of the responsibilities outlined in the Program Director job description may be required. Other responsibilities and duties as determined by the needs of the organization.
Please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 13, 2020.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to obtain a Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector.