Program Counsellor - Springboard
Springboard's mandate is to build stronger communities by helping youth and adults develop the skills they need to reach their full potential. As a charitable organization, we deliver innovative, professional and diverse programming by establishing partnerships between our clients and their community. Springboard’s program areas include community justice, employment and developmental services.
Internal/External Job Posting
Position Title: PROGRAM COUNSELLOR
Department: Residential & Community Support Services – SOAR
Location: Community Programs – 1464 Midland Ave. Scarborough
Status: Relief Permanent x2
Pay: $19.57 per hour
Vacancy Number: RCS-U20-42
Hours/Shifts: Must have flexibility to work shifts Monday-Friday between 0800-1830hrs
Schedules are subject to change to meet departmental needs.
SOAR is a transitional program that focuses on the development of employment and life skills, as well as community integration for adults with developmental disabilities. This position encompasses the primary functions of a group facilitate/ life skills instruction for groups of 10 or more and assisting individuals develop and achieve goals.
Travel to other locations due to programming is required.
- Group Facilitation- facilitate/ teach life skills programming to individuals with developmental disabilities or dual diagnosis; and manage challenging behaviors in a classroom type setting.
- Community Outreach/ Outings- coordinate and supervise community/ recreational outings for large group of participants, including how to access TTC during peak and off peak hours safely.
- Conflict Management- manage challenging behaviors of individuals, including offering support and suggestions on how to support.
- Job Coaching- Provide onsite and offsite direct support to participants in various work/ volunteer environments
- Counselling/ One to One Support- Provide counselling and support to clients with developmental disabilities and their families in reaching their individual goals.
- Health and Safety- Ensure security and safety of the program, the participants in various work/ volunteer
- Administrative Duties- Provide clerical/ reception and administrative support to the program. Maintain office in an organized and secure manner, including documentation and compilation of internal and external reports, statistical data, logbooks, and office communications, and receive/ distribution of correspondence.
- Post-Secondary Diploma/Degree in Social Sciences.
- Strong knowledge in computer applications, i.e. MS, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Valid First Aid and Safe Management certifications.
- Minimum two (2) years of recent work related experience in Development Services sector in the following areas:
- Working with individuals with developmental disabilities or dual diagnosis.
- Conflict management, job coaching, providing individualized support, and supervising community/ recreation outing, group facilitating in both classroom and community setting with 10 or more individuals at a time.
- Counselling, teaching, conflict resolution, individual facilitation, and assessment.
- Use of computer such as MS Suite and multimedia teaching tools such as Smart Board.
- With thorough understanding of the Social Inclusion Act and the Act for the Supports of Persons with Developmental Disabilities (2008).
- Working knowledge of the Developmental Services sector.
- Knowledge of relevant counselling practices and effective counselling skills to ensure optimum service for participants.
- Knowledge of community resources, both internal and external.
- Working knowledge and skills in using a computer and computer systems (e.g. MS Suite).
- Proven group facilitation skills to lead individuals in regards to educational, vocational, and life skills issues within a classroom setting and in the community.
- Skills in: counselling, teaching, group and individual facilitation, communication, conflict resolution and administrative.
- Assessment skills required for both the delivery of service to participants and daily operational/ programming issues, including determination of suitability and risk.
- Program planning skills to implement, evaluate and modify new and existing programs, as needed.
- Effective crisis intervention skills to diffuse confrontational situations. Ability to work well under pressure to ensure minimal interruption in service delivery.
- Written communication skills in English, to communicate ideas, instructions and information in a clear, concise manner- adjust to receivers need for various levels of communication.
- Verbal skills, in English to communicate ideas, instruction and information in a clear concise manner. Ability to adjust to the receiver’s need of various levels of communication.
- Ability to speak French
Posting Date: July 31, 2020
To be considered for employment at Springboard, applicants must be willing to undergo a police clearance/VSS, occupational medical assessment and provide both references and documentation of their credentials. Please apply on line through firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered you must include the vacancy number in the subject line of your email while applying.
Deadline for Internal applicants: August 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm. Please provide your Cover Letter and Resume and a duly completed Application for Internal Transfer form (as applicable).
Deadline for External applicants: August 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm. Please provide your Cover Letter and Resume.
Resumes received after this deadline shall be considered at the discretion of the hiring manager.
No phone calls please. Only persons selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying.
Springboard is committed to employment equity and fair and accessible employment practices. Applications are encouraged from those who reflect the diversity of our community. Accommodations will be provided for job applicant with disabilities, where needed and on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the vacant position.