Program Coordinator (6 month contract) - Cycle Kingston, Inc.
Six-month Contract Employment Opportunity:
30 hours per week, 26 weeks (780 hours, flexible), $22 per hour
Cycle Kingston Inc. is a volunteer-led, local, registered charity whose mandate is to provide safe cycling education and cycling skills training to encourage safe, healthy, community-friendly transportation choices in the city of Kingston.
Cycle Kingston also operates the Gear Up! Recycled Bicycles social enterprise, which trains and hires youth to repair and sell donated, used bicycles at affordable prices.
Cycle Kingston has received financial support to create a more resilient organization, particularly in light of the COVID pandemic, by enhancing our virtual presence, developing online cycling education, develop cycling education curriculum, promoting the Gear Up enterprise, enhancing the physical and virtual presence of Gear Up, creating annual marketing plans, and developing an annual fundraiser.
Cycle Kingston is seeking to hire a Program Coordinator for a short-term contract of approximately six months, to lead and coordinate these tasks, in order to achieve the expected outcomes of the project. Note that there are additional funds available to out-source contractors with specific areas of expertise (e.g. graphic design, website development, e-commerce, writing ad content, strategic planning). You will also supervise two student employees as Cycling Ambassadors during the summer of 2021.
- Slate of high quality cycling education curriculum for both in-person training (e.g. lesson plans, resources, outlines of activities) and online education (e.g. web-based resources, videos, animations).
- High quality, user-friendly Cycle Kingston website, including support materials to enable volunteers to maintain website
- High quality Gear Up website including virtual showroom and easy to use e-commerce applications to encourage purchasing bicycles; includes portal for donations of bicycles
- Improved physical space for Gear Up (could include a new physical site, new occupancy agreements, new storage solutions, or some other arrangement)
- Annual social media/ virtual and marketing strategy, for both Cycle Kingston and Gear Up, including content creation, graphic support and an enhanced membership program
- One fundraising event, or a fund raising strategy, with support material so the event/ activities can be implemented annually by volunteers
- Develop an overall outline and strategy to identify and achieve the stated outcomes in a timely manner and on budget
- In consultation with volunteer board members, prepare RFPs and agreements for contract work, and manage intake and evaluation of RFPs to award contracts
- Oversee the work of contractors to ensure understanding of the projects, monitor tasks and ensure milestones and deliverables are met within contract terms
- Develop an overall strategy for enhancing curriculum and programming related to safe cycling education and training
- Research and develop cycling education and training curriculum
- Prepare all curriculum material, including course outlines, instruction guides, activities, worksheets, games, and resource material
- Could involve outsourcing existing curriculum materials and arranging for authorized us of that material, such as licensing
- Develop a strategy for improving websites for Cycle Kingston and Gear Up
- With the support of professional contractors, design and launch an improved website that is user-friendly, easy to maintain for volunteers, and offers exceptional access and tools for cycling education and training, including images, videos, downloads, tip sheets, etc.
- Develops the Gear Up website to allow for e-commerce and a virtual showroom that can be easily managed by volunteers, including ease of communicating about product (chat feature), ease of adding inventory to virtual showroom, ease of booking appointments to view and purchase bikes.
Gear Up! Enhancements
- Develop a promotional strategy to encourage for bicycle donations, promote Gear Up, and promote a “buy-back” program for Gear Up
- Work with volunteer steering committee to improve the physical space for Gear Up, with a focus on the work space for youth who are employed by the enterprise, including safety. Note that this could include modifying the current space or looking for a ne space.
Marketing and promotions
- Develop and annual, replicable, social media and outreach strategy for Cycle Kingston and Gear Up to include print, radio, social and flyers
- Develop/write content and/ or source content from professional contractors, including images and designs, a pool of proprietary images),
- Annual strategy
- Develop one annual fundraising initiative and/or a fund development strategy that is easily replicable by volunteers, which may include an enhanced membership program to increase audience, donors, and volunteers.
- Minimum 3-years of post-secondary education or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated project management skills/ experience
- Experience crafting realistic, high-level strategies with implementation steps
- Experience writing education curriculum, particularly online learning
- Technological skills to allow oversight of designing virtual programming, website development, and e-commerce
- Experience developing promotional materials, including social media
- Experience developing fundraising events or activities
- Ability to supervise, direct and coach student staff
Skills and abilities
- A high degree of independence, self-motivation, problem-solving and the ability to meet deadlines
- Able to work with individual and committee volunteers to effectively to draw on their expertise and apply it to the project deliverables
- Knowledge of cycling safety (you will be provided with training)
Terms and Conditions of Employment:
- The contract is based on 30 hours per week for 26 week (total of 780 hours), but hours and days of work can be flexible
- Compensation is $22.00 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay, paid bi-weekly as a part-time employee, or $23.00 per hour if invoiced as an independent contractor, and paid monthly.
Application Process and Deadline:
To apply, please submit a résumé and a one-page cover letter briefly describing why you are a great candidate for the position. Submit your application by May 14, 2021 to the attention of:
Neal Scott, President
Cycle Kingston, Inc.
Please submit applications electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cycle Kingston, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and organization. Persons applying for this position will not be discriminated against based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability. All qualified individuals are invited to submit an application.