Program Assistant (Bilingual - English/French) - Frontier College
Title of Position: Program Assistant
Term: Part-time Contract
Start date: TBD
Frontier College is a national, non-profit literacy organization that was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of partner organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada. Frontier College is accredited under the Imagine Canada Standards program.
We are currently seeking a Program Assistant to support the Ottawa Community Coordinator with the facilitation of the online/in-person tutoring program, preparation for the summer/fall/winter program, volunteer management, and program evaluation. All program activities including tutoring will be both online currently and potentially in-person in future. This position will require creativity, flexibility, organization, and leadership.
This position is funded through Canada Summer Jobs so the successful applicant must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
This position will report to the Frontier College Community Coordinator for Ottawa. Working under the Community Coordinator, the Program Assistant position will require a commitment of 12 hours per week. The workload for this position will vary throughout the contract and will require flexibility on the part of the candidate. The Program Assistant will have a balance of volunteer management, program and administrative responsibilities as detailed below.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to Frontier College’s Volunteer Management Policies & Procedures.
- Support the implementation of the tutoring program and other virtual and in-person programming.
- Manage and working closely with the Frontier College Organizational Team.
- Support the volunteer recruitment process by creatively promoting volunteer opportunities.
- Assist the Community Coordinator (CC) with the organization and delivery of training sessions for all new volunteers including logistical details, and other events.
- Communicate effectively with Frontier College volunteers, community partners, and other stakeholders.
- Assist and support the Community Coordinator in the screening and placement of volunteers.
- Maintain accurate volunteer files and ensure all reference checks are completed on all volunteers.
- Complete required data entry and statistical collection.
- Support the Community Coordinator in conducting program evaluation as well as reporting.
- Support Program Leaders to ensure successful program delivery.
- Provide relevant learning and tutoring resources to volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong communication (English/French), and administrative skills.
- Must be bilingual (English/French).
- Experience with planning/coordinating programs and/or events.
- Organized, able to manage multiple tasks and deal with stress.
- Flexible time schedule; able to commit to weekly hours as required including some evenings and weekends.
- Ability to provide a supportive, motivational and positive environment for Frontier College volunteers.
- Ability to provide leadership and support to other volunteers.
- Experience with volunteers, with community settings, and diverse populations.
- Energetic, resourceful, and flexible.
- Able to think critically, solve problems and manage details.
- Works well independently and as part of a team.
- Able to build leadership skills in volunteers.
- Computer skills (MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel and Internet).
Knowledge of social media and program promotion
Compensation: We offer an attractive compensation package and a chance to work in a supportive environment.
Closing date: Friday, April 16, 2021
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
We encourage applications that reflect the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds we serve at Frontier College. In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of our organization, we encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Furthermore, we welcome applications from individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code.
We are committed to integration and maintaining the independence of individuals and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace. We are committed to full compliance with the Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation. We invite applicants to request accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.