Program Assistant, Durham Hoarding Support Services - VHA Home HealthCare
Looking for more?
At VHA Home HealthCare more is not just our commitment to clients, but to our incredible team of staff.
Creating opportunities for more independence; it’s what people in the community rely on us for and what VHA Home HealthCare has offered for over 90 years. With over 2,700 health care professionals serving clients in seven Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs), VHA Home HealthCare’s client and family-centered, community-based approach provides rehabilitation support and home support services. Our caring, professional team offers spectacular care to Ontario seniors, families, adults and children living with disabilities or suffering from a chronic or terminal illness, helping them live life more independently, in comfort and with dignity.
We are currently seeking a:
Part-time Assistant—Durham Hoarding Support Services (DHSS)
To coach clients who have hoarding behaviors and to support the DHSS program to function efficiently through various administrative responsibilities. The DHSS Assistant is responsible for providing emotional support, assisting individuals to meet their goals, and encouraging change in relationship with items through a client centered and harm reduction approach; monitoring and reporting any changes that may affect client’s safety; provide ongoing notes after each session including logs of activities; assist the DHSS Facilitator with a variety of administrative tasks to support the DHSS program. All activities are conducted within the clients care/service plan and policies, procedures and standards of confidentiality of VHA Home HealthCare. May be required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and work in infested home environments. This is an exciting opportunity to learn about hoarding behaviour and get “hands on experience” working with clients in the community. Training will be provided.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Reporting to the DHSS Facilitator, you are responsible for working side by side with clients to de-clutter and organize their living space, providing harm reduction strategies and community support and assessing the home environment during client visits for safety risks/concerns
- You are accountable for quality of services delivered and adhering to policies, procedures, and regulations by VHA and under Ontario Health and Safety Act
- Other responsibilities include actively participating in meetings, assist with management of waitlist, and other duties as assigned
Key Skills, Experience and Behaviours Required for this Position:
- You are a graduate of or working toward a degree/diploma in Social Work, Psychology, Social Service Worker, Addictions and Mental Health Worker, Community Service Worker, or a related discipline
- Experience in a social services/community work setting is an asset
- You have excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrating tact and diplomacy with at risk clientele
- Your skill set includes excellent problem solving skills, organization, adaptability, solution-focused approach, and crisis intervention techniques in order to develop strategies for positive outcomes
- Experience working with clients with mental illness; working in community health and coordinating volunteers are an asset
- Computer skills in word processing, data entry, and Microsoft Office Suite programs (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Use of proper body mechanics and successful completion of the Physical Readiness Test to ensure safe work practices are followed
- Ability to travel from client to client in the community with a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required; must be willing to travel within the Durham Region
How to Apply
Please visit our website at www.vha.ca/careers Our online application should take about 5 to 10 minutes to complete.
VHA Home HealthCare is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. If you require any accommodation in the application process, please let us know in advance.
Thank you to everyone who applies. We will review applications as they are received. We’ll only be contacting those selected for further discussion.