Program Accountant - Oxfam Canada
Internal/External Posting Notice
Title: Program Accountant
Department: Finance & Operations
Status: Full-time, unionized
Location: Ottawa, ON
Immediate Supervisor: Manager, Finance and Administration
Salary: $62,814.53 - $82,659.63
Level: Band 2
Application Deadline: October 1, 2021
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women's rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Manager, Finance and Administration the Program Accountant works in close collaboration with program teams and provides financial expertise and guidance in order to facilitate and promote effective program management. Overall, the Program Accountant provides timely and accurate financial services to support the financial management of Oxfam Canada's projects throughout the program management cycle. The primary function of the position is the provision of regular internal and external accounting reports.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed):
- Prepares budgets and cash flows in consultation with program staff and ensures that program/project expenditures conform to the terms of the contract. Informs the Manager, Finance & Administration and program staff of any major deviations to the budget and non-compliance with terms and conditions of contracts;
- Produces monthly financial project reports and prepares and produces reports to institutional donors in accordance with specified terms and conditions;
- Prepares quarterly and yearly internal project and program reports: variance analyses, deferred revenues, overhead contributions, budgets, cash flows, resource allocation, and other reports as required;
- Reconciles quarterly advances per donor reports to the deferred revenue and ensures that all discrepancies are accounted for and valid. Tracks and reminds responsible program staff to follow-up on donor/partner advances;
- Advises the Manager, Finance & Administration and program staff of the financial impact of their decisions and of the financial implications on any extraordinary events in the project and offer recommendations for possible courses of action;
- As member of the Finance Team, assesses current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes;
- Produces reports for Oxfam International as required.
2. Processing and recording:
- Verifies project/program financial reports, supporting documents and authorization; ensures country office expenditures, are appropriately recorded;
- Ensures up-to-date, accurate and complete files are kept on external and internal financial reports, including country office reports;
- Analyzes, verifies, and approves payment of program/project costs and allocations according to donor contracts and in accordance with Oxfam Canada policies and procedures;
- Validates project-related expenditures and advances and creates general ledger accounts, as required, in accordance with contracts and Oxfam Canada policy;
- Verifies monthly country office financial reports for accuracy and enter into Great Plains.
- Ensures quarterly and year-end audit working papers are completed within the time frame established;
- Maintains a close working relationship with Oxfam Canada country offices to be able to respond to financial requests and give guidance when appropriate, on financial matters;
- Maintains communications on financial matters with country office accounting and program staff;
- Analyzes general ledger to verify allocations and investigate irregularities;
- Maintains up-to-date chart of accounts for projects/programs;
- Tracks partner compliance with Oxfam Canada financial reporting and independent audit requirements and informs program staff and Manager, Finance & Administration of deficiencies on a timely basis;
- Maintains a schedule of payments and reports based on donor contracts;
- Reviews monthly financial reports, investigates significant variances to budget, and reports to program staff and the Manager, Finance & Administration.
4. Project Development and proposal review:
- Reviews and records monthly time sheets to various contracts as required;
- Provides advice to program and Finance staff as well as the Manager, Finance & Administration in the preparation of budget proposals for overseas/Canadian projects, including assistance in the preparation of the GAC General Program submission;
- Reviews the financial sections of overseas/Canadian project agreements and ensures that accounting and reporting requirements are being met.
- Orient new program staff on financial responsibilities, policies and procedures;
- Liaise with auditors as required;
- Liaise on a regular basis with country office accounting staff with regards to country office accounts and advances.
- Inform country offices of changes and updates to accounts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Professional internationally recognized accounting designation such as CPA, CA, CGA or CMA or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A university degree or diploma in related field (Finance/Accounting, or equivalent);
- Minimum five (5) years experience in finance and administration, preferably in the non-profit/non-governmental sector;
- Commitment to global justice, women’s rights, gender equality and social change;
- Strong skills in the area of accounting systems, spreadsheets, word processing, and e-mail are essential;
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical skills and proven ability to work to a level of fine detail;
- Excellent attention to details;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Demonstrated strong client service skills;
- Adaptable, flexible, and demonstrated ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines;
- Experience managing or administering overseas development or similar projects is an asset;
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting is an asset;
- Excellent English oral and written communication;
- Fluency in Spanish, French or Arabic is a desired asset;
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally including to fragile states;
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit oxfam.ca/employment-opportunities. Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
We welcome you to join our movement – sign up for news and updates today.