Principal Director, Primary Gifts - Jewish General Hospital Foundation
The Jewish General Hospital Foundation is seeking a senior development professional to serve as our Principal Director, Primary Gifts and to inspire philanthropy that enables leading-edge care, research, and education at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal. As the Foundation’s lead fundraiser of transformational gifts, the Principal Director, Primary Gifts will foster engagement in our community by building and strengthening relationships with major donors, partners and key stakeholders, and by working with and supporting exceptionally driven and successful volunteers.
Reporting to the Vice-President and Chief Development Officer, the Principal Director, Primary Gifts is responsible for developing, implementing and directing the Foundation’s Primary Giving Program of gifts of $1M and more. The Principal Director will strategically lead the Foundation’s portfolio of prospective and current primary gift donors. They will provide leadership to the Foundation’s effort to secure and expand its base of primary gift supporters, and to the stewardship of such donors, so that they are inspired to form, maintain and strengthen their relationship with the Hospital.
The Principal Director, Primary Gifts will design, plan and deliver development strategies, prospect cultivation, donor stewardship and growth of primary gifts in collaboration with other members of the Development team as well as with medical, research and administrative leaders of the Jewish General Hospital.
Over the years, the JGH Foundation has led numerous successful fundraising campaigns that have propelled the Foundation forward as a leading fundraising organization in Quebec. The most recent initiative, the Power to Heal campaign, was completed in 2018 and was the most ambitious and successful fundraising campaign in the Foundation’s history. The Power to Heal proved to be highly compelling and effective in rallying support from every sector of the Montreal community and beyond. The campaign not only reached but surpassed its $250 million goal, reinforcing and strengthening the JGH's commitment to providing excellence in patient care, research and teaching to all Quebecers for many generations to come.
About the Jewish General Hospital
The Jewish General Hospital (JGH) is a 637-bed McGill University teaching hospital renowned for the excellence of its healthcare services and the caliber of its medical and research staff. As one of Quebec’s leading acute-care hospitals, providing general and specialized care to a diverse patient population, the JGH plays a vital role in the Quebec healthcare system. The Hospital is recognized as a Centre of Excellence in oncology, cardiology, emergency medicine, family medicine, obstetrics-gynecology, and thrombosis and anticoagulation. It is a national leader in the field of robot-assisted surgery, with the most surgeons performing the greatest number of operations in the widest range of medical specialties anywhere in the country.
Through its internationally-renowned Segal Cancer Centre, the JGH is at the forefront of the development of personalized medicine in Canada that aims to ensure that patients receive therapies that are tailored to their particular DNA. The Centre is also a national leader in immunotherapy, which seeks to harness the patient's own immune system to fight cancer.
The Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research (LDI) is the research arm of the Jewish General Hospital. Founded in 1969, the LDI has a roster of more than 200 researchers, and it is an important North American biomedical research institute. LDI researchers have made major breakthroughs in the areas of HIV/AIDS, aging, cancer and genetics. Researchers at the LDI are awarded approximately $40 million in research grants from external sources each year. This places the LDI at or near the top of the list in funding per researcher in Quebec’s hospital affiliated research institutions.
The JGH is located in one of Canada's most culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhoods and cares for patients of many ethnic and religious backgrounds from across Quebec, as well as parts of Eastern Ontario and the Maritimes.
The Hospital’s success has most recently been highlighted by Newsweek Magazine, which rated the Jewish General Hospital as the number one hospital in Quebec, the fourth in Canada and among the top 100 globally.
About The Jewish General Hospital Foundation
The Jewish General Hospital Foundation’s mission is to advance health care and medical research for the people of Quebec by supporting Montreal’s Jewish General Hospital. The Foundation provides essential assistance to the hospital in order to enhance its extraordinary patient care, to further scientific discovery and to acquire the most recent and innovative medical equipment.
The Foundation team, comprised of close to 40 professionals, partners with inspired members of the community to implement a wide variety of fundraising initiatives to achieve these ambitious goals. Community involvement has been an intrinsic aspect of the JGH’s activities since the day the hospital opened. Donors and benefactors at all income levels, from all walks of life and from a multitude of ethnic and religious backgrounds have been instrumental in enabling the Jewish General Hospital to upgrade its services to patients on an ongoing basis.
The 2018-2019 fiscal year was yet another example of what the combination of a fabulous brand, devoted stakeholders, generous donors and passionate leaders can accomplish. It was a remarkable fundraising year for the JGH Foundation, generating over $40 million from annual direct mail programs, major gift Campaigns, Legacy gifts, Tribute funds as well as fundraising signature, community and third-party Events.
Additional Background and Resources
Key Areas of Responsibility
The Principal Director, Primary Gifts will have responsibilities in the following areas:
- Develop and implement strategies to increase awareness and revenue of primary gift giving among existing and potential donors and partners.
- Grow and manage a portfolio of donors and prospects through cultivation and solicitation to close primary gifts.
- Collaborate with a team of major gift professionals and work closely with volunteer, medical and research leadership throughout the Hospital to identify and qualify prospects and build appropriate strategies to capture giving potential.
- Define a strategic solicitation and personalized stewardship plan for each of the targeted donors.
- Strategically guide, support and oversee the engagement of Foundation and Hospital leadership, including senior volunteers as well as medical and research leaders - ensuring that they are appropriately briefed and that the results of their interactions are followed up on.
- Oversee the establishment and continuous monitoring of systems for tracking the progress of principal gift prospects in active cultivation and solicitation.
- Identify and prepare solicitation proposals.
- Plan, organize and conduct training sessions to raise awareness and engage team members on best practices in primary gift giving.
- Develop effective working relationships and links with Jewish General Hospital stakeholders: physicians, researchers and other health professionals.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and at least seven years of experience in a senior fundraising or analogous position.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French and English.
- Thorough understanding of the development of primary and major gifts.
- Exceptional interpersonal relationship skills with great listening and empathy.
- Excellent data analysis skills and strong strategic development resulted-oriented skills.
- Strong organizational skills and management of priorities enabling the identification of new opportunities.
- Ability to work in a team in a dynamic and evolving environment.
- Has a high level of energy, enthusiasm, determination and initiative.
- Ability to present the Foundation's vision and mission to gain support from primary gift donors.
- Excellent knowledge of the Internet and Microsoft Office suite software.
- Knowledge of Raiser Edge gift management software is an asset.
For More Information
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of the Jewish General Hospital Foundation. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Sylvie Battisti, Vice President, Search + Talent by email at JGHF@kcitalent.com
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
Please send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by August 31, 2020
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
JGH Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and accessible work environment.