Post Incarceration Landlord Recruitment Worker - Contract - John Howard Society of Toronto
Position: Post Incarceration Landlord Recruitment Worker - Contract
Function: The function of the Landlord Recruitment Worker is to seek out suitable housing options within the private and supportive housing sectors for men who are homeless and who have been incarcerated. This position also includes providing individual support based on client need and other housing support duties as required including mediation, accompaniment and advocacy. Also the Worker is the agency’s representative in the community and as such will participate in various meeting/committees as directed.
Program Location: Some work days to be spent at 3313 Lakeshore Blvd W and others at 1669 Eglinton Ave. W. A large portion of time will be spent in the community meeting with landlords at their properties.
Schedule: Five days per week (37.5 hours) for an 8 month period. Days of the week and shift hours will vary based on need. The shift will be 10am to 6pm but will be required to come in earlier if a meeting has been scheduled, or stay later in the evening if requested.
Two Saturday and/or Sunday shifts will be scheduled each month.
Start Date: August 4, 2020
Salary: Starting $19.35/hour, Job classification 2
Reports To: Team Leader (Housing)
Responsibilities and Authority:
- Conduct Housing outreach to potential landlords and community residential support services to secure rental units for clients.
- Negotiate with landlords and provide ongoing communication and support via the Post Incarceration and H4G Teams.
- Assist Follow Up support workers with clients and landlords to ensure that all rental units are well maintained
- Provide on-site assistance to resolve any tenancy issues when necessary.
- Participate in agency/staff committees as time allows.
- Deliver services in a way that reflects the racial, cultural, linguistic, and gender specific needs of the community being served.
- Assist agency in maintaining accessible, relevant, and responsive services.
- To support Housing Workers who are assisting individuals transitioning from incarceration to the community during processes associated with securing housing and resettlement in general. (Unit viewings, accompaniment and referrals when needed).
- To represent the agency at various community network meetings across the city including but not limited to the Scarborough Housing Network, Homeless Connect and East York East Toronto, Toronto Alliance to End Homelessness Landlord Working Group, as well as any Streets to Homes front line worker meetings.
- Firm Knowledge of housing resources in both supportive and private market rental stock in Toronto
- Experience in housing search and related outreach
- Some promotional and landlord engagement experience
- Meditation skills
- Community college diploma or B.S.W. or equivalent and a minimum of 2 years’ experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability and knowledge to conduct community outreach
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Thorough working knowledge that can be demonstrated pertaining to relevant laws/legislation affecting tenants including the eviction process, etc.
- Ability to assist with said process and the housing tribunal process
- Thorough knowledge of community services and support programs for homeless men in Toronto (eg: shelters, addiction, mental health, social services etc.)
- Knowledge of the court and criminal justice system in Ontario
- Solid professional boundaries
- Recent criminal record check
- A second language would be an asset
The John Howard Society is an equal opportunity employer and a United Way Anchor agency. Should any accommodation be required please contact Human Resources prior to an interview. This position is included in the collective agreement with the John Howard Society of Toronto and SEIU Toronto.
Please submit all cover letters and resumes (combined into one document) in confidence by email to Donna Read, Housing Team Leader, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm July 28th 2020. Be sure to indicate the position that you are applying for in your cover letter.