Philanthropy Coordinator - Major Gifts and Gift Planning - St. Michael's Hospital
We hear it again and again. From patients. From physicians. From nurses. From donors. There’s a spirit of relentlessness at St. Michael’s Hospital. It’s a never-say-no attitude, a willingness to go beyond. It’s why St. Michael’s is legendary for taking on some of the world’s toughest health challenges. It’s why we are leaders in so many areas of medicine: multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis, ophthalmology, critical care, trauma, minimally-invasive cardiac care, neurosurgery, urban health, neonatal care, and the list goes on. St. Michael’s has a unique attitude that cuts across every department, and it is ever-present at St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation.
By joining St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation now, you will be joining a team of powerful, relentless, compassionate fundraisers who are ushering in the next era of medical innovation and discovery. At St. Michael’s Hospital, can’t is not in our vocabulary.
Philanthropy Coordinators at St. Michael's Hospital Foundation are part of a dynamic, diversified and talented team of fundraising experts. This role’s primary responsibility will be to support the Philanthropy Team as it builds solicitation, pipeline and stewardship strategies to maximize individual, corporate and foundation donor support through various channels.
- Supports the philanthropy team to successfully cultivate, solicit and steward donors, prospects and volunteers to meet the fundraising goals of the Foundation.
- Drafts correspondence, reports, invitations and other communications for the philanthropy team.
- Supports the activities that arise from individualized cultivation and stewardship plans.
- Communicates with the offices of donors, administrators, volunteers and hospital partners to provide information, book meetings and follow-up.
- Reviews and tracks funds and reports on use of gifts, as assigned.
- Updates donor information on a centralized database (Raiser’s Edge).
- Prepares donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship packages, call reports and meeting notes as requested.
- Produces prospect lists, gift information and action task lists from the database in a timely and efficient manner
- Assists in the coordination of meetings and for current and prospective donors and fundraising cabinets.
- Prepares and distributes reports and presentation material using various software tools for word processing spreadsheets, database management including but not exclusive to: Microsoft Word, Excel, Raiser’s Edge, and Power Point.
- Provides support to donors, the philanthropy team, hospital partners and volunteers-preparing basic information requests, prospect profiles, briefing notes, emails, etc.
- Completes appropriate gift processing forms.
- Prepares and distributes correspondence, meeting minutes and Committee rosters.
- Ensures donor gifts, pledges/reminders, tax receipts, and thank you letters are processed and issued in a timely manner.
- Ensures proper electronic and hardy copy filing of proposals, donor gift agreements, acknowledgements, stewardship letters and reports and correspondence.
- Assists the philanthropy team with key volunteer and campaign initiatives.
- Schedules internal and external meetings with volunteers, donors and hospital partners.
- Organizes meetings including room bookings, catering if necessary, agendas, minutes, preparation of presentations, handouts and other materials.
- Ensures that the team has financial information, background and analysis to provide to volunteers and staff to fulfill their fundraising responsibilities.
- Supports the Philanthropy Team by undertaking event coordination and logistics to support donor cultivation and stewardship events.
- Post-secondary education in a related field – college minimum, university preferred - or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in a fundraising environment.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with computer applications on a Windows platform (Word, Excel, Power Point, electronic mail/scheduling, internet)
- Previous experience working with databases (particularly Raiser’s Edge) is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person to person relationship-building skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and be self-motivated in a high pressure and demanding work environment.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently using an above average level of initiative.
- Ability to work as part of a fundraising team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of St. Michael’s Hospital.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.