Personal Support Worker - Mental Health - Cota
JOB POSTING #208
Personal Support Worker - Mental Health
ASSERTIVE HOUSING FIRST TEAM (AHFT) West Team
Bargaining Unit Position
One (1) Permanent Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
Cota is an accredited community-based organization that has been supporting adults with mental health and cognitive challenges to live well within their communities for over 40 years. We provide person-centred supports that assist individuals to find inspiration and hope in their inherent strengths and support them to pursue meaningful change in their lives, as they define it. We also work collaboratively with our funders, our partners and other stakeholders, across the provincial health and social service systems, to inspire positive change in the way that services are delivered to individuals living with mental health and cognitive challenges.
We are seeking a dynamic and innovative individual who will work enthusiastically to deliver recovery oriented, client and family centered and comprehensive services that meet client needs. They will ensure client safety and work within a quality improvement framework to identify opportunities for enhancing quality and quantitative outcomes of the services. Client and family centered care is guiding principle at Cota that helps improve decision making processes, health outcome and client experiences. The successful individual will embed this guiding principle into their work and demonstrates respect, understanding and values the diversity of communities & individuals served.
The AHFT utilizes the interdisciplinary team approach of an Assertive Community Treatment Team (ACTT) to provide Housing First support to individuals who are homeless, living with mental health challenges and involved with a mental health court diversion program and/or are on release from a provincial correctional facility.
We are presently recruiting one (1) permanent full-time Individual Support Worker-Personal Support Worker position for this team.
The Individual Support Worker - Personal Support Worker (ISW – PSW) provides assistance with personal care and household management (ie, bathing, laundry, cleaning, and bedbug prep); assistance with routine activities of daily living, socialization and emotional support. The ISW-PSW is responsible for providing recovery oriented services in a manner consistent with Cota’s Mission, Vision and Values.
The primary responsibilities of the ISW-Personal Support Worker are as follows:
- Assist and support clients with household management, personal care, routine daily living activities, socialization and instruction in life skills
- Provide recovery-oriented community-based support to individuals living with serious mental illness
- All activities are performed to encourage client independence and promote client hope, self-determination and decision-making
Documentation and administrative tasks:
- Properly document all client interactions and meet the Cota documentation requirements
- Participate in daily team meetings and program activities, including planning and evaluation
- Works cooperatively, respectfully and constructively with clients, team members, other service providers, volunteers, management, and external stakeholders
- Ensures confidentiality of client, employee, and program information is maintained at all times
- Undertakes other related and/or delegated duties as may be assigned/required
- Attends all training related to this position and actively participates in these sessions to the satisfaction of the instructors
The Successful Candidate for This Role Must Have:
- A minimum of a High School Diploma required as well as certification as a PSW or Health Care Aide
- Valid Crisis Prevention (CPI), First Aid/CPR, and ASIST certificates preferred
- Relevant experience in assisting clients with mental health issues with their personal care, routine activities of daily living and household management (cleaning, laundry, cooking, bedbug prep)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to work in partnership with clients
- Knowledge of the issues affecting people in the target group (e.g. poverty, homelessness, unemployment, stigma, isolation)
- Demonstrated client-centered and customer focus approach
- Ability to lift 10-25 lbs. (grocery, laundry)
- Computer competent (MS Word, E-mail, Internet)
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to prioritize needs and organize work efficiently
- Ability to problem solve and make recommendations to resolve issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to identify client risk factors and coordinate appropriate follow-up
- Good judgment, the ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with others
- Respectful and aware of client-worker boundaries
- Awareness of safety issues with clients
The ISW – Personal Support Worker will:
- Be required to work rotating day, evening and weekend shifts
- Provide proof of a valid Ontario Driver’s license
- Provide evidence of a clean driver abstract
- Access to a vehicle for daily use
- Conduct visits in the clients’ homes, hostels, hospitals and other community settings
Pay: $18.11 per hour
Please forward a cover letter and your current resume on or before August 21, 2020 by 4:00pm to Human Resources via e-mail: email@example.com and reference Job Posting #208.
Posting ad date is December 17, 2019; the posting will remain open until successfully filled.
If you have any requirements for accommodation due to disability, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment and selection process. We will work with you to best meet your needs as per resources available to us.
Cota is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We request no emails, faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please. Cota encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.)