Personal Support Worker - LOFT Community Services
DATE: January 6, 2021
LOCATION: Behavioural Support Services - Office located in Aurora
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Personal Support Worker.
The Personal Support Worker will provide direct observation, care, education and support to clients demonstrating responsive behaviours and their caregivers and will assist in the assessment and development of a Behavioural Support Plan. Working within a team of other professionals, the Personal Support Worker will enhance the quality of life for clients with responsive behaviours related to mental health, addictions, dementia or other forms of neurological conditions. In addition, the Personal Support Worker will assist and provide on-going training for clients, families and other health care providers. Frequent travel will be required using own vehicle within the northern and central area of the Central LHIN.
*Note: Staff will be required to work in clients’ own homes and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke. Some weekend and/or evening shifts may be required. . In addition, a satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a requirement of employment.*
- Completion of a post-secondary education in Human Services (i.e. Personal Support Worker Certificate, Registered Practical Nurse Certificate);
- Experience with vulnerable, older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive and addiction challenges who exhibit responsive behaviours;
- Knowledge of GPA, P.I.E.C.E.S., U-First or willingness to receive such training;
- Sound understanding or and commitment to the principles of the Behavioural Supports Ontario Project;
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach;
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management;
- Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner;
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, etc.)
- First Aid and CPR certification;
- Good oral and written skills; excellent computer skills; ability to follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with minimal supervision with proven reliability and trustworthiness;
- Valid drivers’ license and access to own vehicle is required; must meet the requirements of LOFT Community Services – Personal Vehicle Usage Policy.
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requested accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994.
We welcome and encourage people from equity-seeking communities and intersecting identities to apply for this position.
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources, Email: HR@loftcs.org
PLEASE INCLUDE: “PSW – BSS” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: January 21, 2021