Personal Support Worker - LOFT Community Services
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance use, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient. LOFT is currently seeking temporary Full time and Relief PSW 's.
PERSONAL SUPPORT WORKER
Temporary Full Time & Relief Positions
(6 month contract with possibility of extension)
DATE: January 6, 2021
LOCATION: City of Toronto
To attend to the physical, cognitive, mental health and social/recreational needs in a way that enhances our clients’ dignity and personal empowerment, by:
- Assisting clients with various activities associated with daily living such as: laundry, grooming, personal hygiene, ambulation, toileting, meal preparation, feeding as needed, and shopping.
- Performing light housekeeping: making beds, dusting, sweeping and keeping clients living space clean and orderly. Note: May be exposed to second hand smoke while in residents unit.
- Escorting clients to appointments, visiting friends or participating in other social activities within the community, providing social support and facilitating interests in hobbies and recreational activities.
- Identifying changes in appearance/behaviours, reporting physical and mental health concerns, suicide ideation, unusual or exceptional occurrences and behaviours.
- Participation in service planning and development of personal goals for clients.
- Providing support with behaviours arising from cognitive issues, intervening in conflicts between clients, and contacting appropriate emergency services in crisis situations.
- Maintaining all records of service and ensuring supplies and equipment are readily available.
- 2 person transfers with the use of a hoyer lift, as well as in bed transfers/repositioning.
*Note: Staff will be required to work in residents’ rooms and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke. In addition, a satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a requirement of employment.*
- Completion of a post-secondary education in Human Services (i.e. Personal Support Worker Certificate, Registered Practical Nurse Certificate);
- Experience with vulnerable, older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive, addiction and responsive behavioural challenges who have been longer term hospital patients;
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach;
- Knowledge of social services and community services for seniors
- Knowledge of and experience in delivering direct services in accordance with psychosocial ‘recovery’ principles
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management; Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, hoyer, etc.)
- First Aid and CPR certification;
- Good oral and written skills; excellent computer skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requested accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994.
TO APPLY: Send your Resume and Cover letter to: Email: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: January 15th, 2021 by 5:00 pm
PLEASE INCLUDE “PSW – TORONTO” IN THE SUBJECT BAR OF ANY EMAILS