Payroll & HR Generalist - The Bishop Strachan School
The Bishop Strachan School (“BSS”) is an undisputed leader in girls’ education. It is within this dynamic, creative and nurturing setting that girls acquire the academic tools, the life skills and the personal confidence to become tomorrow’s leaders. BSS is a leading-edge, year-round, day and boarding school for girls, located in mid-town Toronto, with a student population of 900 JK to Grade 12 students. BSS prepares its students to meet the challenges of tomorrow’s world by focusing on the whole girl – her development in academics, athletics and the arts, as well as her social, emotional, spiritual and physical well-being. At BSS, girls are given the space, the encouragement and the tools to pursue all of their dreams.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking exceptional candidates to fill the position of:
Payroll and HR Generalist
Reports to: Assistant Head, Human Resources
Liaises with: HR Team
Summary of Position:
The Payroll and HR Generalist works closely with the Human Resource team and is responsible for payroll and a wide breadth of human resources activities in the school. They will administer the monthly and biweekly payrolls as a priority and assist with other HR generalist processes such as recruitment and selection, internal communications, and employee record management. The Payroll and HR Generalist works in a procedural, consensus-building manner with the BSS community in keeping with the School’s vision, philosophy and strategic plan.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
Payroll and HRIS
- Responsible for preparation and processing of the monthly and biweekly payroll/HRIS in a timely and accurate manner
- Maintain payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data
- Update payroll and HRIS records by entering changes to all employees such as new hires, terminations, leaves, address changes, timesheet entry and other status changes
- Verify timesheets and consults employees/managers about discrepancies
- Prepare manual ROE’s for faculty and electronic ROE’s for all other employees
- Handle inquiries from employees, government agencies and other organizations regarding employee work history and earnings information
- Ensure compliance with Canadian payroll regulations such as taxable benefits, calculation of vacation / statutory pay / severance pays etc.
- Work closely with the team to ensure discrepancies are quickly identified and corrected to avoid future errors
- Provide assistance as necessary for all internal and external audits related to payroll
- Create various HRIS reports for HR metrics
- Recruitment and selection of employees
- Update accountability profiles
- Prepare job postings
- Screen candidates
- Draft interviewing questions
- Conduct interviews
- Complete reference checks
- Prepare employment contracts
- Liaise with internal departments on various recruitment and HR related matters
- Conduct employee onboarding and training
- Maintain the new hire profile page and staff directory on the HR intranet myBSS
- Internal communications in our staff bulletin notices
- Promote HR programs
- Provide support to employees in various HR related topics
- Assist in the application of human resource policies
- Create and maintain employee files and records in electronic form
- Ensure compliance with employment regulations
- Keep up-to-date with the latest HR trends and best practice
- Assist with internal HR related matters
- Commit to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Other related responsibilities as assigned.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Several years’ experience administering payroll
- General HR experience including recruitment and selection
- Certified HR Professional (CHRP)
- Working knowledge of employment legislation, human resources functions and policies
- Willingness to learn and understand a school environment
- Proficient technology skills that include:
- Proven strength in HRIS applications and Payroll Software
- Google Office Suite
- Familiarity with intranet posting
- Understands and incorporates the importance of diversity into their work practices
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication skills
- Proven track record of confidentiality and integrity
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong organizational, time-management, and customer service skills
- Proven ability to take initiative, multi-task, work under pressure, problem-solve and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to grasp the “overall picture”
- Collaborative team player and ability to work independently
- Sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Payroll & HR Generalist in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and
encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca