Payroll and Benefits Coordinator (Full-Time; Permanent) - Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health
Payroll and Benefits Coordinator (Full-Time; Permanent)
The Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is an award-winning Health Access Centre that provides holistic health services to First Nation, Inuit and Métis people living in Ottawa - one of the fastest growing and diverse urban Indigenous communities in Canada. Wabano is a fast-paced, client-oriented organization that models the Indigenous values of balance, respect and community interdependence. Wabano is proud to be accredited through the Canadian Centre for Accreditation, a third-party review based on accepted organizational practices that promote ongoing quality improvement and responsive, effective community services.
Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the HR Manager, the Payroll and Benefits Coordinator will support the organization by managing the payroll and benefits system and ensuring compliance with Wabano’s policies as well as the applicable legislation.
Responsibilities of this position are:
- Implement appropriate payroll processes and controls (e.g. checks and balances) to ensure completeness and accuracy of all payroll related activities;
- Ensure payroll is administered in accordance with general accounting principles, Wabano’s policies and procedures, and the applicable legislation;
- Record absences and hours for the executive staff and inputs same into the system;
- Review time card reports and payroll summaries for accuracy and completeness; initiate corrective action, as required;
- Adjust, as and when required, and ensure staff leave banks are up to date;
- Perform manual calculations for leaves of absence, retro pay increments, temporary wage top-ups, benefits, and adjustments that impact pay;
- Process employee changes in the HRIS, HOOPP, RRSP, and the Group Insurance portal, including but not limited to new hires, termination, exemptions, group benefit coverage, and garnishee payments;
- Process termination pay (including severance, if applicable), and complete the Records of Employment (ROEs);
- Escalate discrepancies in salary, leave entitlements, and any other concern related to contravention of Wabano’s policies and legislation to the HR Manager; take corrective action in resolving system navigation problems and other payroll system-generated discrepancies;
- Prepare biweekly payroll entry and assist in the preparation of accruals and journal entries for the finance department;
- Collaborate with the HR Manager to respond to employee inquiries and, if required, initiate corrective action;
- Work with the HR manager to correspond with and respond to inquiries from external agencies;
- Create and maintain employee payroll files;
- Stay current with payroll legislation and industry best practices and recommend changes to existing practices and policy;
- Ensure salary, pension and group benefits rate information is in accordance with contractual obligations; reconfigure information in the HRIS, conduct testing and implement changes, as required;
- Conduct year-end audits, reconciliations, and preparations related to all payroll;
- Ensure proper account set-up and distribution of salary, positions, and accounts;
- Be the co-administrator of Human Resources Information System (HRIS)- Workforce Now.
- Perform system administrator function for payroll system; identify and recommend system enhancements and collaborate with the HR Manager to implement changes necessary to maximize the effectiveness of payroll system;
- Create user access profiles and provides training to designated staff on the use of the payroll system;
- Ensure system accuracy and integrity through data entry, regular audits, problem-solving, and proactive monitoring and troubleshooting;
- Assist with special projects and perform other duties as required.
Benefits and Reporting
- Ensure correct deduction amounts for employee and employer portions of premiums;
- Reconcile group benefits and pension plan remittance reports;
- Prepare and submit cheque requisition for remittance to pension plan carrier (HOOPP and RRSP), group benefits provider, to the finance department
- Provide manual calculations for pension and benefits adjustments
- Balance, prepare, and distribute T4’s and T4A’s to staff and coordinate with ADP to ensure that all the T4s and T4As are electronic filed to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Ensure completion of reporting requirements for Employer Health Tax (EHT), and HOOPP
- Calculate and report pension adjustments for the T4s
- Reconcile and submit annual pension plan contributions report to HOOPP
- Generate reports by compiling payroll and benefits data from sources including, but not limited to, leave and other entitlements for hourly employees.
Essential Qualifications and Abilities:
- A diploma from a recognized institution in Accounting, human resources or finance or equivalent educational qualification;
- A minimum of three (3) years experience in payroll or accounting positions with at least two (2) years experience in managing payroll and year-end activities;
- Strong knowledge of the applicable legislation and understanding of the Employment Standards Act, Employment Insurance, Pensions Act, and HOOPP;
- Proficiency in use of ADP Workforce Now HRIS and payroll system;
- Knowledge of Indigenous peoples’ history or willingness to learn about the same;
- Excellent problem-solving ability with sound judgment, strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong promoter and enhancer of teamwork;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work a flexible workweek that may include non-traditional hours, evenings, and weekends.
- Knowledge of Quadrant, a Management Information System from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, will be an asset;
- Completed or pursuing Payroll Compliance Practitioner certification.
- Successful applicants will be required to submit a clear criminal reference check.
To pursue this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Wabano is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation.