Payroll & Accounting Officer - Tungasuvvingat Inuit TI
It is the mission of Tungasuvvingat Inuit (TI) to broadly provide Inuit-specific programs that contribute to the health and wellbeing of Inuit and to encourage and support similar programs for Inuit across the country. With over 30 years of highly successful experience in crafting the design, development and delivery of a wide range of effective, client-centered services, TI continues to deliver quality programs and services that directly benefit our growing urban Inuit population.
The Payroll and Accounting Officer is responsible for payroll processing and project accounting. This includes the accounts payable and receivable functions and providing general finance analysis, support and administrative assistance to the Director, Finance.
Main responsibilities of the position include:
- Payroll processing (using Ceridian Dayforce);
- Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable (using Sage 50: Simply Accounting Canadian Edition);
- Bank Deposits and reviewing and entering direct deposits from funders;
- Financial Reporting on project activity spending, program review, accurate reporting of expenses; and ensuring expenses are within the program budget;
- Month end reconciliations, schedules and journals (for month-end close);
- Reconciling balance sheet accounts (monthly account reconciliations); and
- Working with the Director of Finance and assisting with quarterly and annual analysis:
- Preparation for the external auditor to ensure a timely preparation of audited financial statements
- Variance analysis – analyzing forecasts to actuals on a monthly basis and presenting results to program managers on a timely basis
- Budgeting and forecasting – preparing program budgets and updating forecasts
- Project Financial Compliance ‐ preparing and maintaining all mandatory funder reporting in accordance with contribution agreements
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Postsecondary degree or diploma in accounting, finance or business administration;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in project management and accounting;
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) Certification or membership to The Canadian Payroll Association (or working towards) would be preferred;
- Experience developing and monitoring project budgets;
- Experience processing biweekly payroll using software such as Ceridian, ADP, etc.; and
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, Outlook and PowerPoint, advanced Excel skills.
- Previous experience working in a non‐profit industry;
- Previous experience working in an Inuit organization;
- Knowledge of Inuit societal values and traditional knowledge embedded in Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit (IQ); and
- Inuktitut communication skills (English required).
An acceptable combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Salary and Benefits
- TI offers a competitive salary;
- TI provides paid sick, personal and family sickness leave days, and a comprehensive group benefits insurance plan which includes a 24/7 confidential Employee and Family Assistance Plan;
- Vacation (3 weeks/year upon hire); and
- Group RRSP.
Deadline for applications is November 27th, 2020
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TI’s main office is located at 1071 Richmond Road, Ottawa, which is conveniently located close to Britannia Bay, walking and biking trails and all major transportation access points. It is close to major amenities including gyms, malls, and restaurants. Parking is free on the premise.
Interested candidates are encouraged to visit our website at www.tungasuvvingatinuit.ca to learn more about our programs and services.
Preference in hiring will be given to qualified Inuit candidates, applicants are encouraged to self-identify. If an Inuit candidate is not selected, the position may be offered as a term.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain a criminal record check and their employment will be conditional on results that are acceptable to TI.
Accommodations for applicants with disabilities are available upon request.
We thank all interested candidates in advance, but unfortunately, we are only able to respond to those selected for an interview.