Overnight Support Worker - LOFT Community Services
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring an Overnight Support Worker. LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To provide overnight assistance and support to consumers living with mental illnesses in the Wilkinson Housing Program residences. This position works on its own to support the program and residents, thereby creating a healthy, safe and secure environment.
*Note: Staff will be required to work Tuesday-Thursday, 3 overnights - 10hrs each from 11:15pm to 9:15am. In addition, satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a requirement of employment.*
- Building rapport with each client to enable them to meet the daily requirements of their housing environment and a healthy lifestyle.
- Assisting with resident routines, maintaining general awareness of the activities or whereabouts of residents in the house.
- Monitoring and reporting on resident’s health and wellbeing, assisting with medications.
- Resolving issues related to shared living, mediating conflicts between residents, or between residents and neighbours.
- Carrying out crisis intervention activities with serious or unexpected problems.
- Maintaining the operation of the house and property by conducting security, fire, health and safety checks.
- Increasing residents’ awareness of safety issues.
- Administering basic first aid as required and activating the appropriate emergency procedures.
- Identifying potential issues and communicating to day staff, or noting incidents as required.
- Documenting all overnight activity, incidents or events in appropriate logs and files.
- Assisting residents with physical disabilities or chronic illnesses by providing care in their daily activities.
- Cleaning and assisting clients to clean designated areas of the residence.
- Participating in the administration activities of the program.
- Participating actively as a team member in program delivery activities.
- Understanding of harm reduction, the logic model and psychosocial rehabilitation principles as acquired through a relevant degree/diploma in human services.
- Experience working with the client population in order to apply the theories to practical settings.
- Knowledge of issues faced by vulnerable adults with special needs, which will include: addictions, cognitive impairments and low income.
- Sensitivity, with an ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner.
- An understanding of the therapeutic relationship with an ability to negotiate with clients on goals and priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and counselling skills.
- A sound understanding of health and safety standards.
- Good crisis intervention skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Computer literacy sufficient to produce and maintain files, records or statistical information.
- Written skills in keeping records or updating logs.
- Experience in working with limited supervision but as part of a team of professionals.
- Good analytical, time management and organisational skills.
- First Aid and CPR certification with fluency in a second language an asset.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework.
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset.
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requested accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process by contacting email@example.com or (416) 979-1994.
We welcome and encourage people from equity-deserving communities and intersecting identities to apply for this position.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “OSW - WILKINSON” IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF ANY EMAILS.
CLOSING DATE: May 16, 2021