Outreach Worker - COVID-19 - Carea Community Health Centre
Carea Community Health Centre currently has an exciting opportunity to join our team as an Outreach Worker - COVID-19 to support a community project aimed at providing support to high-priority communities in Durham Region that have been significantly impacted by COVID-19 and face complex barriers to accessing social and health services and supports. The Outreach Worker (COVID-19) will assist with outreach and education, removing barriers for participation in COVID-19 to testing and other related health services as well as addressing the social determinants of health that have had particular impacts on the identified high-priority communities in Durham Region.
Carea Community Health Centre is a recognized leader in redefining the experience of community-based health and wellness services. We provide access to high quality holistic and inclusive care that is responsive to the needs of the community and empowers individuals to enhance their own well-being.
Employment Status: Temporary 6-month Contract, 35-hours per week
Location: Will be required to provide services in the community, across Durham Region (including door-to-door campaigns, transit hubs, food banks etc); Primary Office location: 115 Grassmere Ave., Oshawa.
Salary Range: Annualized salary range $48,242 - $58,191 (this amount will be pro-rated for length of contract) is commensurate on skills and experience, plus optional participation in HOOPP.
The Outreach Worker (COVID-19) will provide support high-priority communities in Durham Region that have been significantly impacted by COVID-19 and face complex barriers to accessing social and health services and supports. The Outreach Worker (COVID-19) will assist with outreach and education, removing barriers for participation in COVID-19 to testing and other related health services as well as addressing the social determinants of health that have had particular impacts on the identified high-priority communities in Durham Region.
- Working collaboratively with members of Carea’s inter-disciplinary team and other partners and community stakeholders, develop an effective outreach plan to reach high-priority communities in Durham Region
- Increase awareness of COVID-19 to reduce transmission and provide necessary information about available supports and services, and personal protective equipment by providing health teaching, including relevant and accurate information about COVID-19, its seriousness, its impact on individual, families, and communities
- Provide health teaching and support at pop-up COVID testing sites
- Provide outreach services, for at-risk individuals who need assistance with transportation to appointments, food security, rent subsidy, hotel accommodation during illness, supplying PPE, arrange for cleaning services etc.
- Provide wrap-around support services to those community members who have been significantly impacted by COVID-19 and face complex barriers to accessing social and health services and supports by providing appropriate referrals.
- Identify and remove barriers to increase access to testing in high priority communities, including implementing supports and arranging transportation to essential appointments
- Provide referrals to services and supports that enable safe and effective isolation
- Remove barriers to COVID-19 prevention, including isolation, by connecting individual with necessary supports and services
- Distribute PPE kits to those community members who have been significantly impacted by COVID-19 in high-priority communities of Durham Region
- Participate in the collection of trends, outreach activity statistics and project evaluation activities
- Participate and support in educational sessions, town halls and other health promotion activities related to COVID-19
- Keep detailed client records to provide quality care
- Coordinate and submit expense claims to financial services
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the job
- Diploma/Degree in the social service/health sciences field
- Minimum 2 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience providing support services
- Current knowledge of community programs, services, and resources
- Knowledge of West Durham Area is an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of community resources, health promotion and the impact of social determinants of health
- Demonstrated experience in effective time management and organization skills
- Experience in group work and program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and group facilitation skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of multi-disciplinary team
- Understanding and willingness to practice Covid-19 safety protocols
- Second language in either Tamil, Urdu, Farsi, Mandarin, Cantonese or French is an asset
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required
The Outreach Worker is expected to make face to face contact with individuals from a 2-metre distance. Carea CHC will provide PPE in the form of face masks, gloves, eye protection, and disinfectant. Applicants are encouraged to consider:
- May experience stress due to regular interaction with individuals in crisis.
- May be exposed to Covid- 19 illness and will need to adhere to Covid-19 protocol at all times
- May be in contact with individuals and families in crisis as a result of mental health issues, substance use and/or not attentive to personal health and safety for themselves.
- Regular interaction and collaborative work with cross-disciplinary colleagues and community care partners.
- Must monitor their own time and stress levels to ensure that they are able to effectively assist clients.
- Must be able to work in a variety of social and physical settings including walking on uneven surfaces and unexpected conditions.
- If you are interested in being considered for this position, please submit cover letter and resume outlining your qualifications and expectations by email to email@example.com . This position will remain posted until filled.
- While we thank all applicants for their interest in applying, only those qualified and considered for interview will be contacted. All applicant submissions will be kept on file for six months, for future consideration.
- All applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
- All positions are subject to the successful completion of the following pre-employment conditions for all external hires: Reference Checks; and Criminal Background checks (including Vulnerable Sector Screening).
- Carea Community Health Centre is committed to complying with all applicable standards as set out in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), the provisions of the Ontario Human Rights Code, and any other applicable legislation. Accessibility: If you have accessibility needs and require alternate formats or other accommodations please contact Human Resources at 905-723-0036, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Carea Community Health Centre, and staff are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes diversity.
The Outreach Worker (COVID-19) will also direct community members to the right service and programs for support including food security support, access to financial assistance, access to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and mental health support.