On Call Boarding Don - The Bishop Strachan School
Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidates to fill the position of:
On Call Boarding Don
Reports to: Dean of Boarding or Boarding Program Co-ordinator
Summary of Position:
The position of Boarding Don is an on-call position at the school, required to work whenever the need arises. An On Call Boarding Don is responsible for assisting the Dean of Boarding, Boarding Program Co-ordinators, Boarding Advisors, and the Boarding Health Advisor with the overall physical, academic, social and emotional wellbeing of the students. The On Call Boarding Don works in tandem with activities during the day, evening, overnight, and/or weekend shifts. Weekends will vary, and may include half day, full day, overnight, full weekend shifts, full Friday to Sunday shift or as needed (pending numbers).
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Assists with the running of Boarding on the scheduled shift
- Works as an effective team member with other full time Boarding staff while maintaining open communication
- Collects and documents relevant information regarding students and their families in a systematic, continuous manner. Ensures that all documentation is retrievable and confidential.
- Assists with arrival and departure arrangements for boarders
- Assists with regular Boarding Fire Drills in conjunction with other Boarding staff
- Assists with keeping Boarding maintained as a clean and safe environment
- Notes any repairs/improvements needed for the Boarding and passes them on to the full time staff on duty
- Acts as a student advocate by protecting and promoting the right to privacy and confidentiality
- Encourages students to participate in decisions affecting their care
- Intervenes in situations where the safety and well-being of the student is compromised
- Assists when needed with the development of a plan of evening and weekend Boarding activities, with the full time Boarding staff
- Assists in monitoring students’ academic, social, physical and emotional progress and reports all information following the processes put in place
- Delivers care in an effective, non-judgmental and non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to student diversity in the school community. Delivers care in a manner that promotes and preserves student and family autonomy, dignity and rights.
- Maintains professional accountability, responsibility and behavior
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Relevant experience working with adolescent girls
- Currently enrolled in, or graduated from, a university/college program in a related area of discipline
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR, and AED
- Mandarin or Spanish would be beneficial
- Experience in the field working with individuals managing health issues, physical and medical support needs in the community, or an equivalent combination
- Demonstrates understanding and analysis of health maintenance and promotion, leadership concepts and research methodology as applied to running a girls’ boarding program
- Demonstrates understanding of the ethical framework that influences maintaining a healthy Boarding program
- Personal training, fitness certification, and/or Red Cross/ NLS certifications are an asset
- Employs effective verbal skills and demonstrates articulate speech and good listening ability. Uses communication as a positive strategy to achieve Boarding goals
- Employs counseling techniques and crisis intervention strategies with individuals and groups as appropriate
- Identifies and uses own interpersonal strengths within a team structure
- Demonstrates knowledge of the philosophy and/or mission of the school, the purpose of its activities, its programs and special services and relates this to running Boarding
- Collaborates with other professionals, both on and off site, to meet boarding student health, developmental and educational needs
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating On Call Boarding Don position in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca