Nurse Practitioner - (Maternity Leave Replacement until Jan 2022) - Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health
Nurse Practitioner, RN Extended Class
(Full-time, Maternity leave replacement until January 2022)
You have a love for community that calls you to a practice that is holistic and caring.
You have experience in providing care to Indigenous community members.
You love being a member of a team of care providers who work together to provide superior patient centred care. Consider joining Wabano!
Wabano is seeking positive, community-minded team members who are energized by challenge and motivated to serve our community.
The Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is an award-winning Health Access Centre that provides holistic health services to First Nation, Inuit and Métis people living in Ottawa – one of the fastest growing and diverse urban Indigenous communities in Canada. Wabano is a fast-paced, client-oriented organization that models the Indigenous values of balance, respect and community interdependence. Wabano is proud to be accredited through the Canadian Centre for Accreditation, a third-party review based on accepted organizational practices that promote ongoing quality improvement and responsive, effective community services.
Wabano blends main-stream and traditional approaches in order to provide balanced care options to our clients and their families. We offer a wide range of medical and mental health services in tandem with cultural and healthy living programming to support clients and their families to find a balanced approach to life. Our model of care involves working with all other Wabano workers (other medical professionals, cultural workers, case managers, clinical therapists, youth and family workers, program coordinators and healthy living coordinators) and cultural resources (traditional teachers, Elders, traditional healers, ceremonies, etc.) to ensure that referrals are made to the appropriate resources to meet client needs.
Purpose of Position
The Nurse Practitioner, RN (EC) provides primary health care services in the areas of health promotion, prevention, treatment of disease and injury, rehabilitation and support. All services are provided in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario’s Standards of Practice for Registered Nurses in the Extended Class. The Nurse Practitioner, RN (EC) worked both independently and in collaboration with other members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Performs clinical tasks by conducting health assessments and diagnosis, therapeutics, health promotion, counselling, family health, community development and planning within the skills and knowledge of the Nurse Practitioner (NP) according to the College of Nurses of Ontario standards of practice for Registered Nurses in the Extended Class (RN EC).
- Practices autonomously, providing acute and chronic care management across the lifespan. Consults with Wabano physicians and/or other health care providers as needed.
- Provides services at the Clinic with scheduled appointments and walk-in.
- Works in partnership with other members of the Health Care Team to share responsibility for planning, provision, and coordination of client care either in the home, the community, or in the Clinic.
- Works within a health care framework which emphasizes health promotion and education, disease prevention and recognises the special risk factors (social, physical, psychological, etc.) which may affect the health of Indigenous clients.
- Maintains and develops professional competence through appropriate continuing education methods (i.e. peer interaction, literature review, conferences, courses, CME leave).
- Contributes to chart documentation, participates in “quality of care” audits and case conferences, and makes referrals.
- Ensures accountability by providing statistics and reports of activities, as required, and keeping client records, as required, within the safeguard of confidentiality.
- Ensures appropriate, comprehensive treatment is delivered by maintaining complete and accurate medical records, participating in chart reviews and discussions of problem cases, making referrals, and answering patient inquiries and directing them to the appropriate treatment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing;
- Master Degree with a Graduate Diploma in Primary Health Care for Nurse Practitioners;
- Registration in the Extended Class with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Two years’ experience as a Nurse Practitioner, RN (EC);
- Experience providing care for Indigenous people an asset;
- Knowledge of how to provide culturally safe care combined with an understanding of how historical and cultural factors impact client needs;
- Experience in trans-care, including hormone management would be an asset;
- Experience in dealing with clients with complex care, considering multiple, confounding comorbidities such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease;
- Experience in dealing with mental health, including trauma-informed care, crisis management, pharmacological management of common presentations, including anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, complex post-traumatic stress disorder, sleep dysfunction;
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary setting;
- Strong clinical assessment skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Experience in working with EMRs, specifically in PS Suite an asset;
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings.
- Successful applicants will be required to submit a criminal check to work with the vulnerable population;
- First Nations, Inuit or Métis candidates will be given priority, please self-identify.
To pursue this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by March 1st, 2021.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Wabano is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation
Application Deadline: March 1st, 2021
Contact email: Jobs@wabano.com