Mentoring Coordinator (Caseworker, Social Service, Program Coordinator) - Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver
Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver’s (BBGV) goal is to enhance children’s social and emotional development by delivering and advocating for the highest quality, prevention-based mentoring programs. If you are looking for a new challenge or to develop experience in other program areas, this may be a great role for you.
The Mentoring Coordinator is a key member of the program team and provides assessment, training, monitoring, and support to volunteers and families.
WE KNOW YOU ARE EXPECTING NOTHING LESS THAN
- A work environment where you can get behind a meaningful cause
- Rewarding work, where you will be challenged and can grow
- An organization that offers a health benefits program
- A workplace that values equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
- A focus on teamwork, passion, commitment, and FUN!
A SNEAK PEEK AT THE GREAT THINGS YOU’LL BE DOING
- Supervising and supporting matches between adult and teen volunteer mentors and children/youth to ensure Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada’s National Standards are maintained and the safety of children is upheld
- Assessment and screening of potential adult and teen volunteers
- Assessment and screening of potential children/youth and their parents/guardians
- Delivering pre-match training to parents/guardians, children/youth, and volunteers
- Facilitating youth leadership training
- Matching adult and teen volunteers with children/youth to ensure positive mentoring relationships are formed
- Maintaining accurate match file records, ensuring that all required documentation is complete
- Discussing client planning and concerns with the Program Team
- Engaging volunteers and families in problem-solving processes where required
- Evaluating the effectiveness of service delivery programs
- Supporting other staff in their program delivery as required
- Submitting monthly caseload statistics
- Participating in agency functions and activities as requested
YOU WILL LIKELY BRING
- Bachelor’s degree or a 2-year diploma in social work, child and youth care, family studies, psychology, or another related field. Equivalent education in “Other Related Field” could be (if the candidate also meets relevant background and or experience for the position) Sociology, Criminal Studies, or Education
- This is a mandatory qualification. as required by the National Standards of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada
- Relevant experience in the social services sector in the Greater Vancouver area with children, youth, and families, preferably related to mentoring
- Experience working within a school-based environment
- A valid BC driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required for this position
- Knowledge of mentoring theory, principles, and practices
- Knowledge and experience in applying and advocating for the principles and values of equity, inclusivity, anti-racism, and reconciliation.
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and group facilitation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Solid presenter and communicator
- Strong networking and relationship-building skills: must have the ability to work cooperatively with staff, volunteers, and associated non-profit or publicly funded groups, agencies, and organizations
- High attention to detail and ability to review own work
- Excellent problem-solving ability – resourcefulness and resilience
- Knowledge of child abuse prevention
- Demonstrated abilities using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and database experience
- Proven ability to work both independently and with a team
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented
- Creative and resourceful
- Passionate about mentoring
- Positive, solutions-based attitude
- Adaptable & open to change
- Enthusiastic about the vision and mission of Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver
- Contributes to the positive culture of the organization
- Desire to learn, grow, and be coached
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends is required
The closing date for this opportunity is 5:00 PM on January 26, 2021.
Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver is an equal opportunity employer and we look forward to receiving the applications of all qualified applicants. Thank you!