Mental Health Worker - Options Community Service
Options Community Services is a non-profit registered charity providing social services primarily in Surrey, Delta, White Rock and Langley. We believe in helping people help themselves. We believe in collaborating with individuals, businesses, community groups and government to create focused, effective and responsive resources for the community.
The Mental Health Worker under the Supported Living program provides support and facilitate activities within the components of the White Rock, Surrey or Delta Mental Health services including Clubhouse and Supported Living programming within the model of psycho social rehabilitation. Facilitates recovery-oriented services and provides support, coaching, education, training and advocacy support to clients, families and other stakeholders. This role may require work in programs located in Delta and White Rock.
- Interviews, orients and assesses clients regarding key components of psycho social rehabilitation. Assesses and evaluates clients’ psycho-social and vocational rehabilitation needs through collaborating with the client to determine their interests, skills and abilities.
- Establishes a dignifying and purposeful relationship with clients, contacting and getting to know them as unique individuals with unique recovery journeys.
- Plans, implements, facilitates and assess activities as they relate to the particular component of service being delivered.
- Assist clients in the community to support increased independence and self-determination. This may include assisting clients with cooking, budgeting, attending appointments by either providing transportation when necessary, or teaching transportation routes/methods as required, etc.
- Monitors clients’ well-being with the ability to recognize potential mental health emergencies and respond appropriately.
- Provides accurate reports including statistical data and log notes on clients’ progress. Reports on clients’ progress made towards goals and objectives as required. Provide feedback and motivation to clients on an on-going and individual basis, via regular service plan reviews, re-visiting and re-evaluating goals and highlighting accomplishments.
- Facilitates groups as required regarding life-skills, wellness, job search and other topics relevant to the population served.
- Collaborates with other professionals as needed. Liaises with other community services and organizations. Builds positive relationships with current and potential employers.
- Adheres to the policies and standards of Options Community Services, as established in policy and program manuals, Health & Safety Guidelines, job descriptions, written memos, and verbal agreements.
- Ensure program facilities and equipment are well maintained and safe.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree or a related combination of education and experience.
- Specific training includes recreational, vocational and/or occupational therapy.
- Current Level I First Aid certificate.
- Class 5 Drivers License.
- Access to a reliable vehicle for business purposes
- Lived experience relevant to the service setting is considered an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of the value of lived experience and family involvement.
- Effective interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Group facilitation skills
- Must demonstrate an ability to work effectively with the client group.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as part of a staff team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop program related reference and resource materials.
- Commitment to a problem solving approach.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to identify sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Must complete a six (6) month probationary period before staff are permanent employees, unless otherwise specified by contract conditions.
- Have no relevant criminal history.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check / Vulnerable Sector search preceding their start date.
- Applicants with lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.