Mental Health Counsellor (2) - The Neighbourhood Organization
Program: Mental Health Integrated Support Services
Full-Time - 35 hours per week, flexible between 8:30AM to 8:00PM. Evening and weekend work may be required as decided by program requirements.
TNO - THE NEIGHBOURHOOD ORGANIZATION (TNO) formerly Thorncliffe Neighbourhood Office, is a community based multicultural, multi-service agency, which offers a broad range of programs to serve Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park, and the surrounding communities through strengthening the quality of individual and community life.
TNO is actively searching for two (2) outstanding Mental Health Counsellors to join our new Mental Health Integrated Support Services team.
The Mental Health Integrated Support Services program provides community mental health support services that assist clients in their journey toward their wellness goals by creating multiple pathways and support systems to those who are experiencing addiction and mental health challenges. Program staff engage clients in safe, caring environments throughout the neighbourhoods, with a focus on racialized community members including seniors and newcomers. The program incorporates a harm reduction approach and promotes engagement with mental health and addiction resources in culturally sensitive ways. Staff bring mental health support to the client, and leveraging trusting relationships, journey with clients to find a safe and meaningful pathway to harm reduction, healing and recovery, thereby reducing barriers to access needed mental health and addiction resources.
Reporting to the Manager, Mental Health Integrated Support Services, the Mental Health Counsellor will provide one-on-one mental health support and facilitate multi-week group sessions reflecting the unique needs of clients in non-judgmental and flexible environments. They also facilitate peer-support groups that support well-being and continuing down the road to recovery. Group sessions are designed with client needs in mind and may include such elements as a healthy meal prepared by a local catering collective. Mental Health Counsellors make soft referrals for clients to other mental health resources in the community as needed and operate within a holistic framework that integrates social determinants of health into treatment plans.
Other Tasks & Responsibilities
- Facilitate multi-week group session to address isolation, improve well-being and motivate clients towards recovery.
- Create peer support groups to provide supportive environment for ongoing recovery.
- Provide one on one mental health support and group counselling in a non-judgmental and flexible environment.
- Support clients pre- and post-treatment in the neighbourhoods.
- Act as a resource to the community and actively conduct outreach to the community.
- Actively participate in community development activities including advocacy, outreach and community engagement.
- Input data into appropriate data base as specified by the agency.
- Maintain required program records and submit required weekly and monthly reports as required.
- Coordinate activities with other TNO departments and services.
- Develop monthly work plans and activities.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- MSW obtained from an accredited School of Social Work and current membership with OCSWSSW.
- Crisis and/or trauma education/certification/development is required.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in mental health and/or addiction facility or setting required.
- Demonstrated skills in working with a broad range of patient groups and their families.
- Demonstrated skills in individual and group counselling.
- Certified in CBT; experience in the delivery of CBT-I and CBT-P is an asset.
- Additional training or certification in trauma-related therapy is an asset (e.g. EMDR).
- Strong assessment, analytical and decision making skills to identify and resolve problems, assess client needs, formulate recommendations, develop appropriate service contracts, and determine actions to address the needs of the client.
- Demonstrated experience supporting clients with mental health and substance use issues from a recovery and harm reduction approach.
- Proven ability in case management and supportive counselling skills.
- Social and multicultural sensitivity and/or experience working in diverse neighborhoods.
- Excellent knowledge of community resources.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to work in a fast paced/changing environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to work autonomously as well as a part of the interdisciplinary team. Fluency in a second language is an asset.
- Demonstrates cross cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Comfort, with technology-assisted healthcare delivery, specifically video conferencing using various platforms and devices preferred.
- Proficiency with MSOffice, designing flyers and presentations and using other office related equipment.
Logistics - This position will be located within any of TNO’s service locations based on community and program requirements. The locations (multiple) for this position may be added or moved to new addresses in the future according to the community and program requirements.
How to apply -Submit a cover letter and resume (as one file) and any other document supporting your candidature to email@example.com by 5:00PM October 1, 2021. Please include the position title in the subject line of your email.
TNO is committed to employment equity initiatives. We encourage residents of Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park, and surrounding communities, people who are racialized, Indigenous, people from the 2SLGBTQI+ community, people with disabilities and other equity seeking groups to apply. Should you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process please contact 416-467-0126.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For more information visit: http://www.tno-toronto.org