Mental Health Child and Youth Counsellor - De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre
Opportunity – Full time Mental Health & Addictions Child & Youth Counsellor (St. Catherines) (Starting Salary 55,000)
De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre’s Mental Health & Addictions Program is seeking 1 Full-Time Child and Youth Mental Health Counsellor based in St. Catherine’s. The successful candidate will provide one-on-one mental health and addiction counselling services to children and youth ages six 6 to 24 and well as parental support.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifiers:
- Have knowledge of Historical Trauma and Intergenerational trauma of Indigenous Peoples.
- Demonstrate sound knowledge and experience in working with Indigenous child, youth and their families in a clinical setting within the Mental Health & Addictions context.
- Knowledge and ability to integrate wholistic based and evidence based practice into the planning and evaluation of client and program intervention from a trauma informed lens.
- Have knowledge of the OCSWSSW Code of Ethic & Standards of Practice, CFSA, Youth Justice Act, Mental Health Act, Duty to Report and any other act as it pertains to the client(s) circumstance.
- Complete intakes, provide clinical assessments and interventions as needed, develop treatment plans, lead 1-1 treatment and counseling, referrals and discharge.
- Case Conference regarding clients and assist with the development of care plans for complex clients with internal & external agencies where appropriate.
- Knowledge &/or Experience working with the Child Welfare System
- Maintain clinical records and data compilation utilizing the electronic medical record according to requirements of the DAHC.
- Respect the rights, dignity and feelings of others to create a safe and respectful work environment that is free from harassment, discrimination and violence.
- Established self-care routine and supports.
- Other duties may be assigned by team lead &/or management.
Candidate Differentiators: In addition to requirements for the position, the ideal candidate would also possess some of the following qualifications:
- Undergraduate diploma or degree in Social Work, Child and Youth Therapy, Psychology or Sociology with 3+ years of experience in field, evident in application. Equivalent work experience and certifications will be considered.
- Ability to Register with Regulatory Body e. OCSWSSW
- 3+ years experience in a community setting working with Indigenous child/youth/young adult population, evident in application.
- Knowledge and experience working with Residential School and Intergenerational Trauma victims and survivors.
- Demonstrated ability for problem solving, analysis, evaluation, implementation and follow-up of decision.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, organizational and written communication and documentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to clients and situations with flexibility and adaptability.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational and decision-making skills required
- Ability to effectively manage disruptive behaviour and de-escalation.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Computer literacy and basic proficiency with Microsoft Office is required.
- Experience in working within an EMR database.
- Valid and up-to-date CPR or HCP certification.
- Ability to interact with diverse and cultural clients, showing compassion, sensitivity and support with knowledge of Harm Reduction principles and practices, including a familiarity with Aboriginal Issues.
De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre has developed a compensation philosophy that will allow the organization to retain, motivate and develop talented people who share our values and contribute to our success.
Competitive Wages & Salaries - Merit of Performance Increases - Health Insurance Plan - Health Benefits - Income Protection Benefits - Paid Leaves - Pension - Employer Health Tax
100% Organization Paid Benefits
Paid Time Off Benefits
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
678 Main Street East
Hamilton, Ontario L8M1K2
Attention: Human Resources
Deadline to Apply:
August 22, 2019
Nya:weh to all applicants.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates, in order to successfully meet the needs of our community
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise the recruitment contact so arrangements can be made.