Member Services Officer (Labour Relations Officer) - Association of Administrative and Professional Staff
The Association of Administrative and Professional Staff of The University of British Columbia (AAPS) is the professional association for the management and professional staff group at UBC.
AAPS represents more than 4,700 members in collective bargaining and dispute resolution with the University. AAPS supports members in resolving workplace issues and strives to improve their work experience at UBC. AAPS also creates a connected community of members through networking and professional development opportunities.
Management and professional staff play critical roles in every function of the University. Their leadership and professional expertise are essential to creating a world-class institution of learning, research, engagement & innovation.
The Member Services Officer works with individual AAPS members to ensure that their statutory and contractual rights are being respected. The role provides advice to members on day-to-day employment matters and representation for members at employer-initiated investigations as well as at grievance meetings and, if necessary, arbitration.
The Member Services Officer is expected to have and maintain extensive knowledge of relevant legislation as well as the Agreement on Conditions and Terms of Employment between AAPS and the University.
Finally, the Member Services Officer reports to the Executive Director and provides general labour relations advice to the AAPS Advocacy Committee and, from time-to-time, the Board of Directors.
- Effectively addresses members’ questions or inquiries, providing advice and guidance through a member-focused approach
- Assesses and appraises members’ issues, inquiries or concerns
- Investigates and represents members’ interests in grievance & dispute processes
- Advises and represents members during employer investigations
- Advises and represents members during the bullying & harassment complaint process
- Advises the Advocacy Committee and Board of Directors on labour relations matters
- Oversees grievance and arbitration file management
- Stays apprised of legal developments in labour relations
- Gathers, organizes and presents information in preparation for communications, negotiations, discussions, presentations & third-party hearings
- Collects and assimilates data & information relevant to particular files, the organization, the University and / or trends in the field
Compensation and Benefits
- Researches salary & benefits issues and assists in developing total compensation strategies
- Represents individuals or groups in classification processes to ensure that members are properly remunerated
- Supports the Executive Director in initiatives that build membership capacity and community engagement
- Establishes effective and professional relationships with AAPS consultants (i.e. legal counsel, benefits consultant)
- Participates in the maintenance of the membership database and related information sources; ensures management of AAPS records and documents
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Understanding of collective agreements, including the investigation and resolution of grievance matters
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in arbitration & collective bargaining
- Knowledge of the university sector, including relevant polices, directives and legislation
- Knowledge of membership associations
Research, Operations and Technical Skills
- Working knowledge of Canadian employment law, BC Employment Standards Act, WorkSafe and Human Rights legislation, BC Labour Code and progressive HR policies & practices
- Excellent research skills and the ability to present research results in a concise & coordinated manner
- Experience in employee-side labour relations and member advocacy
- Strong computer skills: word processing, database and spreadsheets
- Proven ability to set priorities and to successfully manage a workload with substantial responsibilities & multiple levels of detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an attention to detail
TO APPLY: Send a résumé and cover letter to the attention of Joey Hansen, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the close of business, Monday, September 23, 2019.