Medical Secretary - South Riverdale Community Health Centre
Full-Time, Contract Position
To March 31, 2021
Salary Range: $37,307 - $43,890
South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
This position provides administrative support to the staff and programs of South Riverdale Community Health Centre. As first point of contact, this busy position requires the successful candidate to be highly personable, efficient and effective in providing reception services and professionally liaising with providers, referral sources and partner agencies. This position requires providing services to a range of clients, including marginalized populations and those facing barriers to accessing health care. The successful candidate will possess the ability to accurately work in a fast-paced environment, exhibiting a strong, dynamic work ethic, as well as the ability to effectively develop solutions as a critical thinker.
- Respond to general enquires, acquiring services for patients (e.g. taxis, referrals to other agencies) and providing information to the public and other agencies regarding services
- Screen patients’ calls; make appropriate appointments for clinical services
- Make arrangements and referrals with external services (e.g. specialists, diagnostic imaging and prescription renewals), as directed
- Provide administrative support for intake of clients receiving services within the centre following established protocols
- Work collectively to manage client waitlists for programs and services
- Book appointments for all clinical patients using electronic health record
- Ensure patient records and files are accurate and current utilizing the electronic health record system
- Respond to the administrative needs of staff by completing scanning, faxing, photocopying and filing tasks
- Responsible for the opening and closing of the Centre following established procedures to ensure the security and safety of the building, staff, patients, and guests
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Diploma/Certificate from a medical secretary program preferred
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a medical secretary or administrative assistant, preferably in a clinical or social service setting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including effective telephone etiquette
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications (advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office - Word, Power Point, Access, Excel)
- Experience with Electronic Health Record systems preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with the public
- Ability to assist people in a mature, friendly and helpful manner
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, organized, a self-starter
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment; strong team collaboration
- Demonstrated experience working with populations who are marginalized, and may have experienced issues of substance use, homelessness etc. and who may have difficulty accessing primary health care
- Ability to speak and or write in Cantonese and/or Mandarin, or in a second language an asset
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is Monday, August 24, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.