Marketing & Communications Officer - Friends of Ruby
Marketing & Communications Officer
Application Posting Date: April 23rd, 2021
Application Closing Date: May 9th, 2021
Friends of Ruby
Friends of Ruby is dedicated to the journey and well-being of LGBTQI2S youth through a unique combination of integrated and tailored services in mental health, social support, and housing. We are committed to creating welcoming and safer spaces uniquely designed to help build community, emotional well-being, and confidence.
We distinguish ourselves by delivering an integrated transitional housing model to support youth towards independent living, impactful counselling modalities and therapeutical groups, social activities and practical supports that address multiple aspects of a youth’s life (e.g., health, education, employment).
Our services and programs are informed by LGBTQI2S youth, grounded in evidence and research, and led and facilitated by LGBTQI2S individuals. Our staff reflects the diversity of the youth we serve and are skilled in supporting youth towards independence and well-being. Ultimately, we want to help create a Canada where all LGBTQI2S youth are validated, included, and empowered to lead healthier lives.
Friends of Ruby is seeking an ambitious marketing and communications professional who is a natural storyteller, eager to execute marketing and communications plans, and position compelling content that will increase engagement among Friends of Ruby’s key stakeholders: youth, volunteers, community partners and donors; positioning Friends of Ruby as a thought leader and voice of LGBTQI2S youth in Toronto.
Reporting to the Direct Marketing & Development Director, the Marketing and Communications Officer will have an entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to translate broad strategic directions of this fast-growing organization into measurable objectives and drive key results.
Duties and Responsibilities
Marketing and Communications Planning & Execution
- Support the Director in developing and positioning the annual communications and engagement strategy for key audiences.
- Develop and maintain calendar of tactics and digital campaigns, including social media plans.
- Oversee all tactics and campaigns, ensuring alignment and synergy with all departments in the organization.
- Maintain an active social media presence for Friends of Ruby, including writing, scheduling and deploying social posts and engaging with our audience.
- Design assets in Canvas for social media, public-facing reports, banners, ad development, posters, flyers, toolkits and other as needed.
Content Writing & Management
- Write and maintain corporate communications materials including boilerplate key messages, presentations, FAQ, speeches, proposals, newsletters, and other as needed.
- Write profiles, thought leadership, or resource documents to demonstrate Friends of Ruby’s impact and increase engagement among youth, staff, volunteers, community partners and donors, and position Friends of Ruby as a thought leader and voice of LGBTQI2S youth.
- Ensure use of consistent and accurate messaging by all spokespeople and across all channels.
- Revise/Copy Edit documentations and external communications produced by each department to ensure brand and key message alignment.
Project Coordination & Management
- Support the Director in sourcing and negotiating with resources (agencies, freelancers, partners, etc.) to meet all creative needs (e.g., visual identity, graphics, photography, video production).
- Manage projects and vendors/agency relations to meet all marketing and communications needs (e.g., website development, freelance writing, public announcements, annual reports, etc.).
- Coordinate and manage media inquiries and supports the Friends of Ruby spokespersons with key talking points.
- Assist in implementing content updates on the Friends of Ruby’s WordPress website.
Key Success Metrics
- Internal and external stakeholders use consistent, accurate, and impactful messaging.
- Increase youth participating in programming.
- Increase in donations and donors.
- Community organizations disseminate FoR info and refer youth to FoR.
- Increase staff and volunteer engagement.
- Increase awareness, following and engagement on digital channels and website visits.
Profile of Ideal Candidate and Required Skills & Competencies
- 3-5 years of experience in marketing or communications.
- Cuts through ambiguity, translates broad strategic directions into clear quantitative targets and results.
- A natural storyteller that can write impactful copy for any audience.
- Can handle multiple priorities and deliver results in tight deadlines with limited supervision.
- Comfortable working in highly collaborative environment with different internal & external stakeholders, including youth.
- Has worked within the LGBTQI2S youth sector and/or shows understanding and/or lived experience of the challenges faced by the LGBTQI2S population.
- Has experience in working with intermediate/leadership team members and external partners and is tactful.
- Demonstrates diversity and cultural competence, including an understanding of their social location, the impact of oppression, and the social determinants of health.
- Adobe, Photography, web development and video production are considered assets but not required.
- Experience working in non-profits and/or start-up/scale-up environments is an asset but not required.
- Satisfactory clearance under the Vulnerable Sector Police Check Program.
- Must be qualified to legally work in Canada.
- Willing to work at a flexible schedule to accommodate the needs of the Organization.
Hiring Policy / Statement on Employment Equity and Diversity
Friends of Ruby recognizes that a diverse work force is critical to accomplishing our mission. Our goal is to attract, develop, and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives.
We are committed to ensuring that members of traditionally marginalized groups, from a broad range of communities, feel empowered to apply for positions within the organization. We strongly encourage applications from the LGBTQI2S and BIPOC communities, and diverse backgrounds that meet the requirements of the job posting. We suggest applicants introduce themselves, their stories and lived experiences in their cover letter to their level of comfort.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter through this link.
We thank all candidates for their interest. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require an accommodation (including alternate format materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.