Marketing and Communications Assistant - Trent University
******Please visit www.trentu.ca/employment to apply for this position. Applications submitted via Job Boards will not be accepted.****
Reporting to the Director, Athletics and Recreation, the Marketing and Communications Assistant provides support for the development and implementation of marketing strategies, internal/external communication, public relations, and special event planning for the Department of Athletics & Recreation, to increase brand awareness and support revenue generation. This position develops written material for print and electronic media and produces all creative content utilizing graphic design technology, photography and writing skills.
Graphic Design & Marketing:
- With direction from the Director, Athletics and Recreation implements strategies identified in the marketing plan for the Athletics Department and its programs, including the Trent varsity program, campus recreation, community membership, Aquatics and fitness programming to build awareness and participation with all key user groups including, current and prospective students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the community.
- Utilizing graphic design technology, conceptualizes, designs, produces and distributes a wide variety of promotional material for all programs including: the Athletics Centre, varsity, campus recreation, and community membership, aquatics and fitness programming. Materials include but are not limited to: membership and program guides, banners, posters, advertisements, web pieces, signage, business and sponsorship proposals, and newsletters.
- Works with program coordinators in Sales Centre Guest Experience Agent, Sport & Aquatics Guest Experience Agent, Aquatics Guest Experience Agent, Youth Development Co-ordinator, Campus Recreation Co-ordinator and Athlete Development Co-ordinator to support effective marketing strategies to promote sport programs and services.
- Coordinates ad placement and manages timelines, based on annual marketing strategy developed by Manager, Sales and Sponsorship.
- Oversees the integrity of branding and visual identity guidelines and acts as a resource to provide advice and direction to departmental staff on these standards across the department.
- Liaises with companies and community groups to develop promotional opportunities at events and raise profile of the Athletics Centre, Trent Athletics programs, and our Excalibur varsity program.
- Work to source photographs and other images for print and electronic publications, using both internal and external sources.
- Act as liaison with and oversees the work of printers and other vendors as assigned.
- Performs other graphic design and production tasks as assigned.
- Work with the sales team in developing, operating and evaluating membership strategies in order to meet monthly sales and revenue targets
- Works with the Athlete Development Coordinator in marketing varsity game attendance and Varsity image in the community
- Liaises and works with University’s Marketing & Communications Office to:
- to highlight athletics and recreation to prospective and current students;
- prepare media releases to promote special events for Trent Athletics;
- assists the Varsity Coordinator in preparing media releases for the varsity sport program;
- develops relationship with local media outlets to gain coverage on special events or programs taking place.
- Reports on signature events and produces and disseminates follow-up stories in print and electronic format.
- Provides writing and editing support for program staff on external communication including all promotional material and electronic media.
- Coordinates content for and designs, produces and distributes e-newsletter(s) to Athletics Centre members to promote programs and support member engagement and retention.
- Provides support to senior staff by drafting key messages and speaking points for special events.
- Develops templates for all print materials to establish a consistent brand within Athletics & Recreation programs.
Web, Social Media and Electronic Communications:
- Maintains and develops creative content for both the main Athletics & Recreation and the Varsity website to reach target audiences.
- Uses social media channels to effectively engage students and community members.
- Researches best practices, trends, new strategies and take initiative in using the web and social media to effectively engage prospective community members and students (varsity, campus rec, etc.).
Event Planning & Special Projects:
- Coordinates a number of special events throughout the year to support membership sales and retention and student recruitment including promotion, logistical planning and catering. Special events may include Open Houses, Member Appreciation events, and Expos and Tradeshows.
- Provides assistance in coordinating key departmental events, including: Excalibur Golf Tournament, Academic All Canadians, Athletic Awards Banquet, championship varsity tournaments.
- Participates in committees, special projects and represents Athletics & Recreation at external events, and tradeshows as required.
- With the Director, Athletics and Recreation assists in developing and maintaining annual budget for Marketing, Communications.
- Monitors expenditures and reports variances to the Director, Athletics and Recreation.
- Oversees the public relations and image elements of the department.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the marketing program and provides feedback to all program areas from customer satisfaction surveys and tools.
- Works as a member of the Department of Athletics and Recreation staff team, contributing to overall departmental planning and operations.
General University Degree (3 year) or College Diploma in Marketing, Public Relations, or Graphic Design.
- A minimum three years of directly-related experience in graphic design, marketing and promotion.
- Portfolio of work that demonstrates ability to apply design theories and principles to develop effective design solutions – advertising, publications design, website design, information design and photography.
- Considerable knowledge of writing techniques to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Proficiency using graphic design software (In Design, Adobe Photoshop). Intermediate level of computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills to manage diverse projects and shifting priorities with tight timelines.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to speak publicly, to deal with the media, and to make presentations.
- Ability to work effectively as part of team.
- Must be able to work extended hours and evenings/weekends, as required.
- Access to a vehicle to attend meetings or special events off-site.
- Criminal Records Check (dated within the last 6 months) will be required as a condition of employment