Managing Director - Metro Toronto Movement for Literacy
Our Vision & Mission
We envision a community where the right to literacy is enjoyed by all.
Metro Toronto Movement for Literacy (MTML) provides a voice for adult literacy in the Toronto and York region. We collaborate with our members to share knowledge, build awareness, and promote confidence and lifelong learning needed to better participate in the community.
The Managing Director holds primary responsibility for the vision, strategic development, and implementation of all aspects of the MTML program, working in collaboration with and under the authority of the MTML Board of Directors. The Managing Director has overall responsibility for the day to day operations, managing staff and volunteers, and directing and implementing programs and services, in accordance with MTML policies, strategic plans and directives from the board. The Managing Director works closely with the Board to set strategic directions, develop new policies and initiatives and to generate funding support for the organization.
- Ensure the organization is meeting all requirements of MTML’s core funder, MLTSD, including submitting reports on time and maintaining timely and effective communication with their designated consultant(s).
- Foster and promote knowledge sharing and communications amongst the literacy network.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with the members, funding agencies, internal and external stakeholders of the literacy network.
- Represent MTML and the membership on policy issues and be a voice for adult literacy in Toronto and York region.
- Lead and direct a small team of volunteers and part-time staff to administer day-to-day operations for the organization.
- Strengthen the Toronto and York region Literacy field through projects. The Managing Director is responsible for identifying project opportunities and writing proposals.
- Maintain open and transparent communication with the Board of Directors. Participate in Board Committees.
- MLTSD Reporting Requirements. Includes ministry finance reports every six weeks and regular progress reports.
- Annual Work Plan
- Annual Budget
- Support Annual Audit and CRA Submissions
- Oversight of service coordination
- Oversight of Literacy Service Planning (LSP). Includes quarterly neighbourhood planning meetings.
- Oversight of professional development for practitioners.
- Organize the MTML Annual General Meeting and ensure that all members are informed for the meeting and receive meeting materials in a timely manner.
- Attend all Board Meetings and provide an update on MTML’s operations to the Board. (Approximately every 6 weeks).
- Oversee the delivery of referral services to adult learners through MTML’s Literacy Access Network (LAN) and manage LAN inquiries as needed.
- Monitor and moderate the Slack channels.
- Maintain the MTML website
- Monitor and moderate MTML’s social media channels.
- Bookkeeping (QuickBooks), invoice and expense processing, and budget management.
- Status reporting to the Board of Directors
- Update and maintain all agency, provider, and volunteer contact information.
- As needed, provide support to Board Committees to further the goals of the organization. Managing Director will be a standing member of the: Human Resources and Nominations, Fund Development, Finance, Communications, and Advocacy committees.
- Knowledge of Adult Literacy, Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS), or Literacy Providers / Agencies is strongly recommended.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be engaging and comfortable presenting in front of large groups. Experience preparing proposals is an asset.
- Excellent networking, relationship management and partnership building skills.
- Strong project management skills. (PMP designation is an asset)
- Knowledge of governance and advocacy within a non-profit sector organization.
- Strong background in financial management, human resources, information technology and administration.
- Experience with collaborative service delivery planning and proposal preparation.
- Ability to lead the literacy network; strong team building skills.
- Demonstrated ability to link the results of data mining with research, policy and practice.
- Proficiency with Windows OS, Google docs, sheets, slides & Adobe Writer, Internet and web-based applications and Slack.
- Ability to work with diverse people in diverse environments.
- College / University degree or equivalent work experience.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle may be required.
- MTML Office - 120 Carlton Street, Toronto / part-time remote
- Some meetings around Toronto or the York region may be required.
Salary: $35/ hour
Hours: 24 hours per week - some weekends and evenings may be required.
Vacation: 72 hours annually (3 weeks at the prorated part-time rate)
Other: Some lifting may be required.