Manager, Program Impact - Oxfam Canada
Title: Manager, Program Impact
Department: International Programs
Status: Full-time, unionized
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Immediate Supervisor: Director, International Programs
Salary: 63,020 - 81,831
Salary Band: Band 3
Deadline to apply: August 27, 2019
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women's rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Director of International Programs, the Manager, Program Impact ensures the quality of Oxfam’s women’s rights and feminist program, leading a Program Impact Unit comprised of women’s rights and technical specialists. The Unit supports a program-based approach to Oxfam Canada’s portfolio of projects, promoting coherence in approaches across the program under a single, overarching theory of change and monitoring, evaluation and learning framework, ensuring that all programs strive to meet ambitious women’s rights and feminist objectives, and supporting innovation, excellence and learning in key areas by offering tools and expertise, and through the development of a program feminist knowledge strategy.
The Manager will work in close collaboration with colleagues in the Global Program Unit and Partnerships Development and Strategy Unit, as well as with a range of other stakeholders in Oxfam Canada’s head office, and across the Oxfam confederation, and will represent Oxfam Canada in a range of spaces, both internally and externally.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed):
- Lead the development of a program theory of change ensuring coherence and consistency in aims across Oxfam Canada’s portfolio of projects;
- Ensure provision of best-in-class expertise to ensure strong women’s right and feminist program design and implementation, aligned with Oxfam Canada and Oxfam International’s Gender Justice objectives and goals;
- Provide leadership in articulating Oxfam Canada’s women’s rights and feminist programming approach, and supports the implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) activities that reflect Oxfam Canada’s feminist values;
- Ensure timely provision of quality technical support to Oxfam Canada projects, working in close collaboration with Program Managers, and contributes to program coherence, including monitoring key women’s rights indicators across the portfolio;
- Lead the development of a feminist knowledge strategy and associated action plan;
- Support in the definition and undertaking of learning and knowledge initiatives, institutionalizing learning throughout the program management cycle, and disseminating learning and knowledge related to women’s rights and feminist issues across the Oxfam confederation;
- Ensure strong integration and mainstreaming of women’s rights and feminist approaches in all project and program plans and strategies;
- Provide leadership and oversight in the management and administration of Oxfam’s Knowledge Hub on VAWG/GBV.
Representation and Influencing
- Develops and maintains strategic and working relationships with key stakeholders related to program quality and knowledge;
- Represents Oxfam Canada at designated tables within the Oxfam International confederation, with funders, donors, and other civil society spaces, particularly as related to program quality and knowledge;
- Provides analysis and produces content to support Oxfam Canada’s efforts to influence donors, policy, practice and public, including consistent messaging on WR priorities;
- Scopes and develops possible partnerships with academia, research institutions, civil society organizations and private sector for collaboration in joint program, knowledge and quality initiatives.
- Set priorities and direct work for staff, and implement a range of HR processes;
- Participate in the International Program Management Team;
- Support the Director, International Programs, and provide monitoring and analytical reports to the Management Team and Board, as required;
- Ensures cross-departmental collaboration as needed and contribute to Oxfam Canada-wide strategic initiatives and operational projects as required;
- Ensures the Unit budget is soundly prepared and effectively stewarded.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- A university degree in a related field (political science, international development, women's studies)
- Relevant post-graduate degree and formal training in gender considered an asset
- A minimum of seven years (7) experience in program management/program development in an international development/humanitarian organization, required.
- A minimum of three (3) years international development experience in the Global South, required
- A strong understanding of women’s rights is required, as well as demonstrated experience incorporating gender and feminist approaches into the design, monitoring, learning, and evaluation of programs.
- Demonstrated capacity to oversee program quality initiatives, including development of knowledge and learning systems and products; and to manage, capture and share organizational learning and knowledge.
- Financial management experience related to the administration of international development grants and organizational budgets is essential.
- Proven skills in staff supervision and team leadership, balancing direction and support in a collaborative work environment focused on achievement of results. Ability to work in matrix management.
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and spoken skills in English is required. This includes strong analytical and writing capacity, particularly with reports, funding applications, and program and policy documents.
- Second language skills in French and/or Spanish would be a definite asset.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong organizational and administrative processes and systems, utilizing technology to the greatest advantage.
** MUST be legally eligible to work in Canada **
Please submit applications to https://oxfamcanada.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=15
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit oxfam.ca/employment-opportunities. Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
We welcome you to join our movement – sign up for news and updates today.