Manager, People and Teams - Canadian Mental Health Association, York and South Simcoe
Message about our hiring and operating practices during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Canadian Mental Health York Region and South Simcoe branch (CMHA-YRSS) is continuing to provide much-needed mental health services. As an organization, we are protecting our staff through supporting either working from home, or physical distancing, and other public health directives for essential services staff working on-site. Rest assured that your well-being is our top priority and we have appropriate health and safety measures in place at each stage of the recruiting process and throughout our operations.
We are looking for a Manager, People and Teams in our Bounce Back and Ontario Structured Psychotherapy Programs
As we continue to grow our team, we are looking for a Manager to join our passionate, dedicated, and “BRAVE” team! If you are a leader who is interested in continuing to develop and motivate your team in order to provide the best services to our clients province-wide, than this role is for you!
Closing Date: September 18, 2020
Permanent: Permanent, Full-time, 35 Hours per Week, Evening Hours and Weekends may be required
Benefits: Excellent Benefits Package: Full Extended Health & Dental, Life Insurance, EAP, STD, LTD, & Pension Plan. Generous paid time off including vacation, sick, personal days.
Competition #: 2020-058
Location: In accordance with current public health directives, training will be available both remotely (i.e., via teleconference and videoconferencing technologies) as well as onsite while respecting physical distancing. During the current COVID-19 outbreak, work can be completed primarily from home with equipment provided by CMHA. Once public health directives are lifted, the Manager, People and Teams will be working primarily in our Vaughan Office (8271 Keele St E, Unit 2, Vaughan, ON L4K 1Z1) and will be required to travel within York Region & South Simcoe.
We now welcome resumes for a new Level 1 Manager that will provide day to day development, supervision, and management, for a dynamic and compassionate tele-coaching team (approximately 25). Occasionally supervision will also include volunteers and students. You have at least two years in a supervisory role, providing support, coaching, direction, and regular performance feedback and reviews. You have a positive reputation and have a goal of fostering growth and development of your team both individually and collectively to shape a dynamic, efficient, and unified team.
Reporting to the Senior Manager Workforce, the Manager will ensure that CMHA’s staff talent philosophy is put into practice by working collectively with all managers, and by continuously motivating and developing high-performing teams, and contributing to the achievement of the organization’s goals and objectives. Your motivated team is responsible for providing telephone support to coach participants with mild to moderate anxiety and depression, through a structured, and scripted, coaching program, while meeting monthly performance targets (via referrals). The incumbent will also work in harmony with Clinical Psychologists, to adhere to program directives and preserve program fidelity. Decisions of a clinical nature regarding clients are referred to the Clinical Psychologists, and consistently relayed to the supervising Clinical Psychologist responsible for oversight of CBT Clinicians.
- As a member of the Management Team; you will attend regular meetings and participate in Senior Management meetings. You will offer input and recommendations in a collaborative and effective manner to improve the processes, quality and operations of all programs.
- The Manager, using empowerment and skill building approaches, works closely with Human Resources to attract, hire and retain qualified, and skilled individuals, including creating and maintaining the schedule of all team employees. Also, assist with Planning and Orientation of new employees.
- Ensures that staff understand their role and the policies and processes that guide that role within the organization and are meeting their individual targets.
- Monitors metrics and compliance with program policies and processes, and ensures employees have the prerequisite skills, knowledge and tools to effectively carry out assigned duties in an effective and efficient manner.
- The Manager is responsible for ensuring that service delivery staff act in accordance with CMHA’s policies & procedures, and provincial legislation, including the Mental Health Act, the Health Care Consent Act, PHIPA, Substitute Decisions Act, and other relevant provincial statues and common law.
- Your experience and comfort using an electronic management system to maintain documentation and reporting requirements and standards is a strength in maintaining data integrity.
- You will provide support and direction to staff through individual and team meetings and will be responsible to the organization for the advancement of individuals within CMHA.
- The incumbent is responsible to identify and communicate the day-to-day dealings of this growing organization regarding any staff performance issues, as well as training, educational and development needs.
- You are confident in your ability to recognize and respond to conflict in a manner that respects the dignity and human rights of individuals and groups. In addition to compliance with all organizational policies and procedures, the incumbent is also expected to behave ethically, demonstrate competence in effective communication and team building, demonstrate effectiveness in working in a collaborative environment, and demonstrate confidence in decision-making and in building relationships.
- Post-secondary education
- Minimum 1 years’ experience supervising a team
- Competence in relevant computer applications particularly Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of relevant legislation (i.e. Mental Health Act, Employment Standards Act, PHIPA, Human Rights Code, OHS, etc.)
- Team player who fosters a culture of continuous improvement and innovation.
- Strong persuading and negotiating skills
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills
- Strong analytical, communication and organization skills.
- Ability to treat sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Competence in creating and managing schedules
- Solid problem solving skills, and ability to provide recommendations/solutions
- A valid Canadian driver’s license, a minimum $1,000,000 third party liability insurance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health/Social Services, Business, Management, and/or Human Resources is preferred
- Previous experience working in a customer service, tele agent and/or a Call Centre environment is preferred
- Experience working in a not-for-profit organization is considered an asset
- A second language is preferred
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an individual assigned to the job. This information is not constructed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job.
This position reports to, and is supervised by the Senior Manager, People and Teams
Working Conditions: Works extensively at a desk, remotely or in office, using a computer and possibly a headset with microphone up to seven (7) hours a day. Works in any combination of standard office environment in a shared office space or remotely (i.e., from home). Weekend and evening hours may be required.
Disclaimer: In keeping with mental health reform, best practices, funding and direction this position may later require knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions not noted here.
Why work for CMHA York Region?
We are a team committed to our vision of mental health support for all. That means we respect that our clients are the experts in their recovery journey and that our role is to provide support, resources and opportunities based on their hopes and dreams. It means that we foster and encourage an entrepreneurial spirit to create, implement, and sustain innovative, evidence-based and transformational impact. We seek out and build partnerships, collaborate and share knowledge to be the most culturally competent team and fully integrated service delivery partner.
Our team cares for each other. We have our own team values of trust, respect, teamwork and communication. We have been a National Non-Profit Employer of Choice for five consecutive years as well as a recipient of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, email AODA@cmha-yr.on.ca
If you are interested in this opportunity, please visit our website at https://cmha-yr.on.ca/get-involved/careers-placements/ and click on 'Current Opportunities', and 'Apply Now'. Proceed to upload your cover letter and resume.
Complete the application form and submit the following:
- Cover letter with 300 words or less and tell us why you would want this role and why you should be considered for the position (PDF or Word)
- Resume (PDF or Word)
CMHA-YRSS supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We welcome all applicants including persons with lived experience, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTTQ+, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.