Manager of Research and Policy - Battered Women's Support Services
Manager of Research and Policy
JOIN OUR TEAM
We're on a mission to end gender based violence. For over 40 years we’ve walked alongside women, providing advocacy, amplifying resilience and resistance, and we're just getting started. We are committed to doing the work and putting survivors at the centre. A mission like ours needs a perspective like yours, that’s what makes us stronger. For more information on BWSS visit www.bwss.org
You’ll use your excellent skills to bring together researchers, academics, data and policy analysts, students and community organizers to provide critical research, data, policy and strategic support for the ending violence, gender equity and social justice movements.
Reporting to the Executive Director, you lead, manage and are responsible for the planning, assessment and delivery of research at BWSS. Using the long tradition of movement-driven, community-derived research and using an explicit decolonial, anti-oppression and racial justice lens and leading the development the Gender Equity Learning and Knowledge Exchange and other research and policy initiatives. The Manager of Research & Policy is charged with delivering this agenda and meeting milestones, deadlines and budgets.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Working in collaboration to develop and deliver the annual research agenda;
- Researching, analyzing, understanding and writing concisely about complex policy issues relevant to gender equity and gender based violence;
- Providing high-level, evidence-based strategic advice and input to the ED in relation to policy context and gender based violence by continually monitoring current affairs and policy changes;
- Researching, writing and overseeing the development of papers, reports and submissions, including position papers, briefing notes, submissions to identified stakeholders;
- Assisting with the writing and compilation of external presentations, and gather and provide information for the website, email communications and other information dissemination as required;
- Develop and maintain links with members, key stakeholders and partners and represent the Committee as required;
- Performing qualitative research conducted through interviews, surveys, focus groups, participatory action research, or other methodologies;
- Writing extended policy reports that highlight issues of gender equity and gender-based violence and/or propose evidence-based policy solutions;
- Developing tools, fact sheets, webinars, infographics and other formats for presenting information in engaging and accessible ways to multiple audiences.
- Collaborating with grassroots and community organizing groups to identify and define research and policy needs.
- Presenting and discussing policy and research with organizers and grassroots and community leaders on conference calls, in community meetings, in webinars and other formats.
- Conducting research on policy and practice for community-based responses to addressing gender equity and gender based violence.
- Writing reports and informative materials that create new knowledge.
- Summarizing and synthesize existing research to support grassroots and community-based organizing campaigns to address gender equity and gender-based violence from an intersectional feminist, anti-oppression and decolonial perspective.
- Planning, developing, managing and providing authoritative information on research funding opportunities and administrative processes. This involves setting priorities and goals for each funding opportunity, establishing support processes, and advising on eligibility criteria, deadlines, submission processes, budget requirements and other important details regarding internal and external research opportunities;
- Mentoring, collaborating and overseeing the Research and Policy Analyst and internal contract researches.
YOU MUST HAVE…
- Must have 5 years combination education, training and experience conducting research and policy analysis
- Excellent writing, research, and communications skills
- Experience with conceiving, developing and producing policy reports
- Ability to explain complex issues in clear, simple language accessible to multiple audiences
- Experience working with diverse constituencies and communities, including people of diverse racial, cultural, class and linguistic backgrounds
- Experience with and knowledge of critical issues and data in gender equity, gender-based violence from an intersectional anti-oppression feminist and decolonial framework
- Ability to manage timelines independently and effectively
- Research, identify and qualify funding opportunities from corporate, foundation, and government sources.
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team
- Capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficiency with multiple presentation technologies and software for creating data visualizations, infographics and webinars
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF YOU HAVE…
- Tenacity through continuous determination and persistence to achieve results.
- Care, understand and consider the impact actions have on colleagues, survivors and the community we serve
- Diligent in commitment to the processes that support superior outcomes.
- Passionate about all that we do which drives us to be outstanding and go that extra mile.
- A commitment to trust and integrity, integral qualities for the forging of lasting relationships
- Manager of Research and Policy works in a shared office environment and at home office during COVID-19;
- Manager of Research and Policy usually works a standard work week;
- Manager of Research and Policy may be required to work evenings and weekends.
- Reports to the Executive Director;
- This position is a member of the Leadership Team;
- Permanent full-time 40 hours weekly;
- Salary $74,880 - $83,200, based on experience;
- Excellent benefit and pension plan after successful completion of three-month probation period;
- As a bona fide job requirement this position will be held by a woman or femme
If you seek the opportunity to commit to an organization engaged in making a real difference in the lives of children and women in our community, please send your resume and cover letter by 5pm on May 14, 2021. Respond via email to: Battered Women’s Support Services email@example.com. No phone calls please.