Major Gifts Officer - ASTC Science World Society
(Regular Full Time)
Position: Major Gifts Officer
Reports to: Director, Donor Development
About Science World:
Science World is a BC-based charitable organization that engages the people of British Columbia in STEM literacy. Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature. Our values are Curious, Playful, Inclusive, Relevant and Collaborative.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes generous annual vacation, comprehensive health, dental, vision care benefits, health spending account and matching RRSP program for full-time staff. We are committed to offering our staff learning, development and growth opportunities. And most importantly, we offer a fun team culture – think summer BBQ, team events throughout the year, unique industry perks, free passes, staff discounts and access to exhibits and OMNIMAX® films.
What’s the job?
Our ideal candidate is motivated a with exceptional interpersonal skills to grow revenue and engagement from individuals in support of Science World’s mission. Working with mid-level donors, this self-starter has experience in donor identification, engagement, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
Reporting to the Director, Donor Development, this position is part of the Development team and is responsible for providing comprehensive support to all of the fundraising activities of Science World. This position requires the ability to foster and develop key relationships with donors, staff members, volunteers and the wider community.
- Under the direction of the Director, identify, cultivate and solicit individual mid-level donors (defined as $2500 - $10,000 annually) to generate financial support of Science World
- Responsible for meeting identified revenue goals to generate, sustain, and increase funds for mission-related purposes
- Actively build and manage a portfolio of prospects and donors through assigned database (e.g. Raiser’s Edge)
- Work collaboratively, cross-functionally and diplomatically across Science World, to support the development and on-going stewardship of account strategies to maximize donor support across all programs and activities
- Demonstrate best practices in fundraising including research, cultivation, execution of effective donor meetings, development of proposals designed to address the objectives of both the prospect and Science World, account management, reporting, recognition, and stewardship, that meet or exceed donor goals and expectations, and cultivate a culture of philanthropy
- Identify new, lapsed and returning prospects to continuously build the donor pipeline at Science World and manage a diverse prospect pipeline to support all activities and programs
- Timely execution of donor cultivation and stewardship activities including proposals, agreements, reporting, invitations, and pledge materials as required
- Promote a culture that is donor-centric, where requests from internal and external stakeholders are responded to with a high degree of urgency, professionalism and accuracy
- Operate within the philosophy, culture, and values of Science World
- Perform other duties as required
Who are we looking for?
- 5 years of proven experience in a not-for-profit environment or high relationship-based environment
- University or College degree in Sales, Business Management, Fundraising or related discipline
- Proven experience cultivating, securing and growing revenue from corporate prospects
- Must possess a valid Class 5 BC driver’s licence with a clean driving record and have access to a reliable vehicle
- Flexibility to accommodate various meetings and events with staff, volunteers and donors are a requirement for this position
Must demonstrate the following:
- Proven fundraising, development and/or sales experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders, with proven interpersonal savvy and a keen sense of diplomacy
- Strong attention to detail; superb organizational and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment as well as independently
- Ability to successfully work in a matrixed reporting environment
- Resourceful and organized; able to manage competing priorities, complex situations and deadlines
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge is considered an asset
All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks -
Please apply by October 18, 2019 via the Science World careers portal: https://www.scienceworld.ca/jobs
As a part of your application, please upload a cover letter and a copy of your resume.
* We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. *