Maintenance Worker - The Ottawa Mission
The Core Purpose of the Ottawa Mission is to reflect Jesus’ love in serving the homeless, the hungry, and the lost.
Our Mission is to by provide food, shelter, clothing and skills, and offer healing, faith and hope for building a wholesome life.
Our Vision is that all the hurting, hungry & lost in Ottawa find HOPE, HEALING & HOME
Our Values are Acceptance, Respect, Compassion, Integrity and Interdependence
- Repair equipment, furniture, fixture or other physical items within The Ottawa Mission’s premises
- Repair plumbing or carpentry items, paint walls, doors, windows, furniture, etc. as required
- Build, repair or alter walls, partitions, doors, windows, floors and any other items that are damaged or non-functional
- Able to plan and execute projects or work orders with minimum supervision
- Assist in the maintenance of fire safety equipment, boilers, air exchange units, building utilities, kitchen equipment and on-site security systems
- Operate and maintain hand and power tools, woodworking and shop equipment; keep equipment clean and operational at all times
- Pick-up, deliver and maintain and goods and supplies required to perform maintenance tasks.
- Adhere to all Health and Safety rules and regulations
- Provide on-call emergency response within the facility as required
- Other related duties as required / assigned by supervisor
- Secondary School Diploma required
- College Diploma in a recognized Trade considered an asset
- Minimum of five (5) years as a tradesman or trades helper with experience in construction and renovations with a willingness to learn new skills.
- Possess analytical and problem solving skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Experience and good working knowledge of shop equipment and hand tools, including power tools
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Ability to maintain long periods of varied physical activity: walking, standing, sitting, climbing stairs and ladders, bending, lifting, stooping, squatting and lying down to access tight or awkward spaces.
- Ability to climb ladders and comfortable working with heights (4 storey rooftops)
- Ability to maintain an atmosphere of courtesy and respect towards clients, staff and volunteers
- Comfortable working in a faith-based environment whose values are acceptance, respect, compassion, integrity and independence
- Flexibility in work hours
- Knowledge of personal Health and Safety regulations; WHMIS certification / Fall Protection Certification considered an asset
- Class “G” driver’s license considered an asset
- High degree of physical activity involving various activities: walking, standing, sitting, climbing stairs and ladders, bending, lifting, stooping, squatting and sometimes lying down to access tight or awkward spaces
- Heights – Four (4) storey rooftops
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to move heavy furniture and/or equipment
- Must be comfortable working in a challenging environment that has the potential for confrontation and/or exposure to violence
To apply please forward your resumé, with "Maintenance Worker" in the subject line, to:
We thank all applicants for their interest in The Ottawa Mission; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodation is available, upon request, for applicants with disabilities.
The Ottawa Mission is an equal opportunity employer.