Life Enrichment Worker - LOFT Community Services
DATE: November 8th, 2023
LOCATION: Toronto, ON - Pine Villa
COMPENSATION: $46,577 - $56,329 Annually Prorated
CONTRACT DURATION: 1 year
** 2 positions available: 1Full-Time Permanent & 1Part-Time Contract**
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance use challenges, poverty and homelessness. Serving approximately 13,969 annually and providing 1,788 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. LOFT is also recognized as a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Life Enrichment Worker.
Working within an interdisciplinary team, the Life Enrichment Worker will enhance the quality of life for older adults and seniors living within an Enhanced Specialized Assisted Living Program who are facing complex challenges. These complex challenges could include mental health and/or addiction challenges, cognitive impairment, ongoing physical health issues, responsive behaviours and/or other neurological disorders. The Life Enrichment Worker plans, coordinates, implements and directs recreational, educational or therapeutic activity programs that assist residents in maintaining and developing intellectual, physical, spiritual, social and recreational opportunities and further assists in building interpersonal relationships and social skills.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Oversee the assessment of clients to determine suitability for program participation.
- Execute a therapeutic program targeted toward what that the client requires most.
- Manage the assessment of physical and social needs of the client to ensure program meets client’s needs.
- Observe, analyze, and record clients' participation, reactions, and progress during programs, plan and evaluate therapy programs, modifying treatment programs as needed.
- Counsel and encourage clients to develop leisure activities.
- Conduct therapy sessions to improve clients' mental and physical well-being.
- Instruct client in activities and techniques, designed to meet their specific physical or psychological needs.
- Work with the Director to ensure that the personal care plan for each client is in conjunction with the care team and family and based on the client’s needs and preferences
- Work with each client’s circle of care to support appropriate transition to Long Term Care when needed.
- Identify areas of risk and recommend and/or take actions as appropriate.
- Recognize and communicate training needs of program.
- Participate in on call rotation regularly and as required.
- Undertake special projects and tasks as assigned.
- Provide other duties, as assigned by Director, Pine Villa.
- Maintaining accurate records and files on the provision of service to residents/clients
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Degree and/or diploma in Therapeutic Recreation or recreation with a therapeutic concentration
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with vulnerable older adults and seniors who may be living with mental illness, cognitive and neurological illnesses, addiction challenges and/or responsive behaviours who have been longer term hospital patients
- Knowledge and training in GPA, Montessori Methods for Dementia, PIECES and Restorative Care
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach
- Physically able to perform required duties
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Good oral and written skills; excellent computer skills; ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Valid drivers’ license and access to own vehicle is required
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, program planning and problem solving
- Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with minimal supervision with proven reliability and trustworthiness
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset
We believe there are many different ways of developing skills, and we love diverse
experiences! So even if you don’t “tick all the boxes” but think you’d thrive in this role, we encourage you to apply.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A comprehensive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and long-term disability.
- Defined Benefits Pensions Plan
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- E-learning program available all year round
- Starting vacation time above minimum standard,
- Additional paid personal and paid sick days
- Professional development budget available to help you nurture and shape your career
- Corporate Gym membership rate with GoodLife Fitness
- Access to Perkopolis, a comprehensive corporate discount program
- Access to unlimited DEI trainings through partnership Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Maternity-leave top up program
Note: All LOFT employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of hire in accordance with LOFT’s Vaccination Policy; unless they are employed in or work regularly with staff who are employed in, non-client facing roles.
Note: All LOFT employees are required to complete a satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC).
Note: Offer / Benefits section not available for part-time & relief positions.
CLOSING DATE: November 22th, 2023