Junior Data Science Developer - Ontario HIV Treatment Network
HQ will be a centre of excellence in gay men’s health by providing tailored mental health services, sexual health services, and social programming. It will provide an accessible, safe, welcoming space for all cis and trans guys who are into guys regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender identify, sexual orientation, HIV status, socio-economic status, immigration status or disability. It will provide comprehensive, holistic services that empower clients and promote their physical, sexual, mental, emotional, community and spiritual/social well-being.
At HQ, we will work collaboratively with stakeholders and communities to promote health equity, through community engagement and equitable access and participation in the centre’s programs.
Find out more about us at: https://hqtoronto.ca/
About the Role
The Junior Data Science Developer reports to the Mental Health Director and the Medical Lab Director and is responsible for activities related to clinical data collection, Electronic Medical Records (EMR), and quality improvement at HQ. This position will oversee EMR development and will be responsible for updating and at times creating EMR forms, establishing EMR search strategies, extracting data, and providing analysis for research projects from an EMR perspective. Once a the EMR system is established the incumbent ensures data quality and security, oversees the creation of the research data set, and conducts epidemiological and statistical analysis.
Data quality and security:
- Implements data collection process that ensures data quality, adequacy and accuracy.
- Develops and implements efficient, secure procedures for data handling and analysis.
- Creates policies/procedures for effective data management.
- Oversees the development of user guide, FAQs and other data system documents and manages the end-user training.
- Supports others in the daily use of data systems and ensures adherence to HQ’s Privacy and Confidentiality Policy.
- Maintains tracking of any data or application changes.
- Carries out data systems testing.
EMR interface development and support:
- Creates custom EMR forms using software programming.
- Updates and redevelops EMR forms as required.
- Develops EMR searches to support research and quality improvement at HQ.
- Extracts data from the EMR for research and quality improvement reporting purposes.
Epidemiology and statistical analysis:
- Leads the creation of algorithms for data interpretation and normalization across data sources.
- Creates predictive algorithms in conjunction with QI teams.
- Creates composite variables, and regular reporting of recruitment and service targets.
- Leads analysis projects with HQ data.
- Supports the creation of manuscripts, technical reports, factsheets, and presentations.
- Presents HQ analysis and results to internal and external stakeholders.
Required Knowledge & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in health or data/mathematical/statistical/computer sciences
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with data projects or personal project experience
- Experience using: R or Python for statistical analysis and data manipulation
- Experience managing complex projects
- Excellent understanding of data administration and management functions (collection, analysis, etc.)
- Familiarity with relational databases/data systems and information systems technologies (SQL)
Preferred Knowledge & Experience
- Technical knowledge and experience working with an EMR system (PS Suites preferred)
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, e.g., Mental Health Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act, Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, and professional standards to ensure compliant and consistent program implementation
- Experience/knowledge in health care services for 2-Spirit, gay, bisexual, queer, and other transgender and cisgender men who have sex with men (2SGBMSM)
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please use the position title as the subject line and attach your cover letter and resume as a single PDF/Word file in an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, May 5, 2021
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in HQ, but only candidates receiving serious consideration will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
HQ is committed to employment equity and to the greater involvement and meaningful engagement of people living with HIV/AIDS (GIPA/MIPA) in all that we do. We encourage applications from persons living with HIV/AIDS and people with culturally diverse backgrounds to join our team.
We are also committed to fostering inclusion and accessibility in all areas of our work. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, we will work with you to meet your needs.