Junior Accountant - Vancouver Talmud Torah Association
This is a permanent position at 1.0 FTE. The hours are normally 8:00AM-4:00PM but may be flexible.
Bookkeeping & Data Entry Duties:
- Verify purchase orders and confirm/follow-up on appropriate approvals, and code accounts payable invoices;
- Prepare source data for computer entry by reviewing data for deficiencies, resolving discrepancies by using standard procedures or returning incomplete documents to the department head for resolution;
- Enter data into accounting system, verify data entered;
- Maintains accounting records by making copies, scanning copies to Finance drive, and filing documents; and
- Reconcile various other accounts and post reconciling entries as requested
Accounts Receivable & Collections Duties:
- Enter customer and account data into accounting system, salesforce program and electronic customer files;
- Verify entered customer and account data by reviewing, correcting, deleting, or re-entering data, purging files to eliminate duplication of data;
- Issue invoices to customers;
- Collect and process payments;
- Create a list of people who have not made payments and advise Accounting Manager;
- Inform clients of overdue accounts and amount currently due, attempt to collect payment;
- Prepare and issue collection notices, follow-up by phone when required; and
- Record cash receipts and make bank deposits, process credit card payments.
Month End Duties:
- Assist in preparing and entering month end entries, which includes salary reallocations for SOPSOC purposes, prepaid & capital asset amortization schedules, and all other monthly accruals.
- Assist in maintaining staff absentee spreadsheet, and follow-up with staff absence sheets;
- Draft letters and documents as requested;
- Research, analyze and summarize information as requested;
- Create spreadsheets as needed and as requested;
- Perform administrative and office support functions as requested;
- Filing, scanning documents onto Finance drive; and
- Prepare information for accounting team and auditors as requested.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing duties and tasks in an efficient, reliable and accurate manner;
- Maintain customer and organizational confidence by keeping information confidential; and
- Deliver a consistent and professional level of service.
Education and Experience:
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles;
- Two to three years of bookkeeping experience;
- Minimum one year of data entry experience;
- Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of Sage (AccPac) accounting software;
- Experience with Microsoft Office software, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook; and
- Some experience with databases is preferred.
- Fluent in English, ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure manuals and operating instructions in English;
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong organizational, time management, and decision making skills;
- Proven ability to show empathy, assertiveness, tact and resilience;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment;
- Strong attention to detail and to confidentiality; and
- Have the ability to relate to people from a variety of different backgrounds.