Jr. Summer Camp Counselors - Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services
Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services is multi-service agency located in the heart of east downtown Toronto. For 87 years, we have been touching the lives of thousands of our community’s most vulnerable residents by providing a range of programs and services across every stage of life.
Reporting to the Summer Camp Coordinator or their designate, Junior Summer Camp Counsellor will work to develop, implement, and evaluate an eight-week camp program for children ranging in age from 4 to 12 years old that will engage the campers in fun exciting social recreational activities. The Junior Summer Camp Counsellors will also ensure the safety and security of the camp.
- Participate in camp training and orientation.
- Abides by the policies and procedures of Dixon Hall.
- Arrive to work in a well maintained Dixon Hall t-shirt and continue to wear the T-shirt in a visible manner for the duration of the work hours.
- Work all hours and the schedule for which they have been booked.
- Follow the day to day instruction from Camp Coordinator and Senior Counsellors.
- Actively participate in developing an eight-week program (eight hours a day) that will be creative, challenging, and fun for children of ages 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, or 10-12 years old.
- Organize and implement the camp program, as planned.
- Helps to ensure safety and security of camp and assists in responding to critical situations.
- Arrive to work with swimming attire required to enter public pools as part of ensuring the safety of the campers.
- Provide positive guidance and support to camp volunteers.
- Assists with supervising children during breakfast period and camp program.
- Assists with the preparation of and clean up after serving breakfast to children at the start of the day.
- Work with other counsellors and team members to maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Regularly complete appropriate paperwork (incident reports, trip purchases, etc.) and reports for submission to the Camp Coordinator in order to update the camp’s status.
- Maintain positive professional relationships with peers, campers, parents, and other Dixon Hall patrons.
- Assist in the evaluation of program at the end of the season.
- Counselors assigned to the 8-9 and 10-12 groups are expected to participate in a four-day (three nights) overnight camping experience outside Toronto.
- 16 to 24 years of age.
- Must be returning to school full time for the 2019/20 year
- Prior experience working in a day camp setting.
- Standard First Aid qualifications.
- Must know how to swim and be comfortable swimming in public pools as well as in open bodies of water; proof of swimming proficiency through the Red Cross swim program or similar an asset.
- Must have excellent public relations skills with ability to communicate well with patrons from a low-income, new immigrant setting.
- Must be a team player and be able to work well with others.
- Strong verbal and written English language communication skills; ability to speak other languages will be considered an asset.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter as a single Word or pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 13, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. quoting File #19-CY-01 in the email “Subject” line.
Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services is committed to developing an inclusive selection process and work environment. If contacted for an interview, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process. The hiring process is governed by Dixon Hall.