Job Skills Counsellor - YMCA of Greater Toronto
YMCA of GREATER TORONTO
MULTIPLE POSITION VACANCIES
JOB SKILLS COUNSELLOR
(Salaried Full Time Contract)
Starting Salary: $39,795
Effective Date: Immediately - March 31, 2022
Reports to: Employment Programs Manager
Location: Mississauga City Centre Drive YMCA Centre
Why work for our charity?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
Nature & Scope:
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Employment & Community Services is a part of YMCA Employment and Community Programs which provide a variety of employment and counselling programs to youth and adults throughout the GTA. The members we serve are unemployed youth, youth in transition from school to work, youth having multiple barriers to employment.
The Job Skills Counsellor provides and prepares members for employment through the facilitation of workshops, one to one employment counselling, referral to community resources and consultation with employers to secure employment opportunities, as well as provide continuous follow up to ensure successful outcomes. The Job Skills Counsellor works as, and is part of, program delivery within a fast-paced employment centre offering multiple program opportunities for adult and youth members.
- Interviews, assesses and assists members to achieve their employment goals through identifying and following up on a plan of action to achieve employment goals.
- Provides one to one coaching and motivation. Prepares members for employment through the facilitation of life skills, job search, pre-employment and job maintenance workshops. Assists in identifying barriers to employment. Counsels members on proper résumé and job search technique. Assists members in the use of computers and other tools to conduct information searches. Assists members in the development of appropriate work habits, behaviours and attitudes for the workplace.
- Advocates on behalf of members to community employers and services and programs that will move them closer to their employment goals. Consults with team members and community partners to find employment opportunities, and monitor progress in the work environment. Participates in outreach events/ activities through collaboration and relationship development with community partners.
- Ensures self-management of program targets related to the employment program delivery and funder expectations; completes and maintains members' files as per funder and YMCA quality standards.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University Degree preferred or College Diploma in Employment Counselling, Social/Community Work, Social Services or related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of two years counselling, file management and group facilitation experience an asset. Other Career Testing Certificates an asset, e.g. Level B, Life Skills
- Superior presentation and written communication skills
- Knowledge of community resources, familiarity with the labour market as well as apprenticeship and training opportunities
- Proficient with personal computer applications, e.g. Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, and Internet search engines
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Flexibility regarding assigned working hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Valuing Diversity and Social Inclusion fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self-Management; Teamwork and Collaboration
Please send cover letter and résumé quoting
job posting #0154 by Friday, February 26, 2021 to:
Employment Programs Manager
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About the YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For more than 165 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.
Visit www.ymcagta.org to learn more about our work to build vibrant communities where everyone can shine.