Internal Auditor - The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary:
The internal auditor is responsible for the day-to-day conduct and completion of audit assignment including: conducting operational, financial, and compliance audit projects and providing consulting services to the organization’s management and staff. Please note that the position involves about 40% travel in Canada and Bermuda.
The internal auditor maintains organizational and professional ethical standards and ensures all internal audit activities are in compliance with The IIA’s International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards).
Participate in planned internal audit assignments and professional practices/processes.
- Attending the entrance conference at the beginning of each audit.
- Performing audit procedures, including identifying and defining issues, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing evidence, and documenting client processes and procedures.
- Conducting interviews, reviews documents, develops and administers surveys, composes summary memos, and prepares working papers.
- Identifying, developing, and documenting audit issues and recommendations for improvement using independent judgment concerning areas being reviewed.
- Communicating or assisting in communicating the results of audit and consulting projects via written reports and oral presentations on a timely basis to management.
- Developing and maintaining productive team-oriented client and staff relationships through individual contacts and group meetings.
Coaching and Training.
- Assisting in training, coaching, and guidance to internal audit staff in conducting audits and on other audit-related issues.
Communication of Internal Audit findings.
- Communicating audit findings to senior local management throughout the audit.
- Preparing draft audit findings for inclusion in the draft audit report and seeing that all findings have a disposition.
- Presenting and communicating audit findings at the audit closing meeting and coaching local management with respect to responses, as required.
Maintaining and improving professional service delivery standards.
- Making recommendations on ways to improve the audit work process.
- Pursuing professional development opportunities, including external and internal training and professional association memberships, and sharing information gained with co-workers.
- Performing other work as assigned by audit management.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
*NOTE: For some jobs, you may be required to provide validated educational documentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field experience.
- Pursuing CPA or equivalent and an audit designation such as CIA, CFE or CISA is desirable.
- Two years of full-time experience in internal auditing.
- Skills and knowledge should include understanding of financial, operational, and compliance risk, IIA standards and not-for-profit accounting rules.
- Technical audit skills.
- Ability to develop creative approaches and solutions necessary to solve complex problems.
- Ability to collaborate and build relationships across all business functions and levels of management, with internal and external stakeholders, including the external audit team.
- Sense of urgency and drive to help TSA manage its risks and opportunities.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Bilingual in French is an excellent asset.
- The candidate must have a current and valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
Successful candidates will be required to provide:
- Background check consent
- Education verification
- This position requires the successful candidate to have a valid driver's licence.
Applications Accepted By:
Fax or E-mail:
(416) 422-6352 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Employee Relations Department
Please no phone calls.
Please include the competition # 20-050 in the subject line of your email.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.