Increase Your Success Tutor - Tropicana Community Services Organization
TROPICANA COMMUNITY SERVICES ORGANIZATION
Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally-appropriate programs such as counselling, child care, educational and employment services and youth development.
Job Title: Increase Your Success Tutor
Position Type: Contract – part time (September 2019 – May 2020)
Department: Youth Development & Education
Location: Scarborough, ON
Hours: 10:00am to 1:00pm on Saturdays – with the exception of holiday weekends.
NOTE: Tutors will be given one hour of prep time.
Rate of Pay: $ 20.00/hour
Primary Function: To deliver quality tutoring services to children and youth (Grades 1-12) in the Increase Your Success Saturday program. In particular, tutors will facilitate small-group and/or one-on-one tutoring sessions to address students’ academic needs. Tutors will report to the Education Program Coordinator and provide weekly assessments (for, as, and of) learning and observing/monitoring students’ progress throughout each term.
- Facilitate small-group and/or one-on-one tutoring sessions to address students’ academic needs
- Attend and participate in all staff training sessions and staff meetings.
- Supervise students at all times.
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment at all times.
- Display leadership and communication skills.
- Be a positive role model for students.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and creativity.
- Participate in program and staff evaluations.
- Resolve conflicts among students and any behavioural issues appropriately.
- Be punctual.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of all students (daily attendance, medical/emergency contact information, special needs, incident reports, pick-up information, etc.).
- Know, enforce, and understand all Occupational Health & Safety Act (Ensure that site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter before, during and after the day’s programs).
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the program.
- Sign and abide by TCS’s employment contract.
- OCT certification (complete adherence to professional standards and ethics) and/or Bachelor of Education degree.
- Qualifications in Primary/Junior, Junior/Intermediate, or Intermediate/Senior (Math, English, and Science)
- Experience working with children and/or youth.
- Familiarity with the Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum and Growing Success.
- Knowledge of the African, Black, and Caribbean community.
- Extensive knowledge regarding effective strategies for lesson planning, differentiated instruction, scaffolding, and universal design for learning, behavioural management, adaptability, and reflective processes.
- Able to develop positive rapport with students, parents, and staff.
- Takes initiative and goes beyond what is expected.
- Able to assist students by addressing all learning needs (i.e. knowledgeable about accommodations, modifications, and IEPs for students.
- Must be goal-oriented, hardworking, and passionate about working with children and youth to help them succeed in their education and well-being.
- Sample portfolio is required in the interview (can include pictures and samples of lesson plans, artefacts, etc.).
- Leadership, organizational, communication, and teamwork skills.
- Multicultural sensitivity and sensitivity to special needs.
- Valid Vulnerable Sector Police Reference Check to be submitted at interview – must be valid within 6 months.
- Additional qualification(s) in Special Education and/or English Language Learners (ELL)/English as a Second Language (ESL) would be an asset.
Please apply via email to:
Closing: Monday, August 26, 2019 at 12:00 PM (NOTE: Successful candidates will be contacted on Tuesday, August 27, 2019 to schedule interviews which will take place from Wednesday, August 28, 2019 to Friday, August 30, 2019).
We thank all candidates for the interest shown, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Tropicana Community Services offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment processes. If you are contacted, please advise if you require accommodation.