In-Hospital Program Specialist - Toronto - Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium
A diagnosis of childhood cancer changes life in an instant. For affected children and families, it can suddenly feel like everything is about cancer.
Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium (merged in 2020) offers a different journey, where kids with cancer can just be kids, and families connect with a community of strength and support when they need it the most.
So much more than a summer camp—we offer the social cure for childhood cancer. Our camp-inspired programs deliver fun, friendship, and community to children and families at no cost to them year-round, all across Ontario. New in 2020 are virtual camp opportunities reaching kids and families living in isolation—at home or in the hospital—wherever they are!
Cancer changes a child’s life. So does camp. And so can you. Learn more at www.ooch.org.
The In-Hospital Program Specialist is accountable for developing safe, fun and engaging camp-style programs that meet the needs of campers and families. This position works to provide an enriching year-round camp experience directly to children and families through hospital and community programs in Ontario. While this position primarily facilitates in-hospital programming at The Hospital for Sick Children and surrounding satellite hospitals, it will be positioned in Toronto.
Reports to: Manager, In-Hospital Programs
- Participate in development, execution and monitoring of short- and long-term plans for all programming designed to meet the goals for strategic growth.
- Develop and ensure implementation of annual and long-range program plans and budgets consistent with the strategic goals of the organization.
- Actively participate in evaluating programs.
In-Hospital Programming: (55%)
- Create and facilitate safe, fun and engaging camp-style programs in a hospital setting that meet the needs of patients receiving care at the hospitals Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium serve. This includes programming on the in-patient, out-patient, and bone marrow transplant units
- Facilitate group and individual play programs in waiting areas, play-rooms and bed-side.
- Support Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium in-hospital volunteers
- Support and collaborate with hospital volunteers for successful program delivery
- Support special events that occur at the hospital
- Responsible for supply shopping and ordering for programs while adhering to budget
- Develop and maintain positive and supportive working relationships with Medical Staff and Child Life
- Implement all policies and procedures, including confidentiality and occupational health.
Community Programming: (10%)
- Support planning and facilitation of Community Programs to meet the needs of campers and families
- Support, coach and lead volunteers in achieving safe, fun and engaging programs that facilitate friendship and fun.
- Implement all Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium policies and procedures when programming.
- Occasionally support Overnight Programs and Day Camps
Communication and Administration (10%)
- Complete all administrative tasks required in the planning and follow up of programs.
- Document programs to contribute to organizational program resources.
- Document photographs and camper stories
- Contribute to accurate tracking of camper experiences
- Track and maintain accurate systems for gift-in-kind donations in collaboration with Development
- Support volunteer recruitment, interviews and training.
- Other administrative duties as required
- Reach out to and develop meaningful relationships with campers and their families on behalf of the organization
- Promote programs to patients and families in efforts to recruit and support every child eligible to participate in In-Hospital, Community and Overnight Programs.
- Support families with the registration process.
- Foster relationships with medical staff and promote Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium programs
- Support medical staff engagement and appreciation at SickKids
- Occasionally assist with speaking engagements on behalf of Ooch & Trillium
- Occasionally attend related community outreach events.
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Manager or his/her designate.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum post-secondary education
- Minimum two years of experience as a staff or volunteer in a camp and/or hospital environment, or working with children in a recreational setting
- Experience facilitating group programs
- Comfort working in a hospital setting with seriously ill children
- Experience working with children with a variety of physical and development abilities
- Current police reference check and vulnerable sector screening
- Current driver’s license
- Insurable under Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium’s driving insurance policy
- Experience teaching skill-based activities including but not limited to music, arts and crafts, drama and magic
- Experience supporting challenging behaviours
- Demonstrated ability to work with families and an understanding of how illness impacts the entire family
- Camp experience
- Experience working with a volunteer population
Enthusiastic, creative, collaborative, camper-focused, detail orientated, excellent time-management and organizational skills, flexible, diplomatic, excellent oral and written communication, able to meet deadlines and work well under stress, problem solving skills, able to work independently and with a team, ability to apply principles of child development to programs, an awareness and understanding of children’s behaviour and the ability to support them.
Particular Working Conditions:
- Working significant evenings and weekends
- Working a very flexible schedule
- Frequently working in a hospital setting
- Occasionally working in an open office setting
- This position involves working in emotionally challenging environments and working with families in crisis
- Occasionally driving long distances, with overnight stays
- May work outside for periods of time. This includes weekend camping trips or week long camp
- The position may have the opportunity to attend Summer Overnight Camp, and/or a Weekend at Camp.
- This position may support rental groups if needed
- In consideration of the population Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium serve, the incumbent is a non-smoker.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: frequent lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; standing for long periods of time, packing and unpacking vehicles and program spaces, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; sleeping in a tent, and fine finger dexterity. This position occasionally involves working outdoors in various environments and temperatures. The job is performed in a generally hazard free environment and in a clean atmosphere.
Operate in keeping with the organization’s commitment to ethical behaviour by: Helping to ensure that the integrity, image and quality of all programs are consistent with our mission, operating principles and objectives and adhere to the code of ethics of Imagine Canada, the Association of Gift Planners, the Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement and the Code of Ethics of the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
This position offers a competitive salary, full benefits package, vacation, and professional development.
All applicants must submit a cover letter with expected salary and position type and their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject reading Req# (Insert # here) – NAME AND fill out the following survey to complete your application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/IHPS20).
The following open position types include:
- Two (2) Full Time 1 year contract positions (Req#2020019 – IHPS – SickKids)
- One (1) Permanent Full Time role (Req#2020018 – IHPS – SickKids)
We will expect to commence screening applicants on December 21, 2020. This posting will remain open until filled. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information about Camp Ooch and Camp Trillium, please visit www.ooch.org - No phone calls please.
Applying by mail is also acceptable and should be addressed to the attention of:
Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium,
464 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON M5T 2S6.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium invites applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Upon request, Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium will provide to applicants with disabilities, accommodations that take into account the applicants’ accessibility needs, in order to facilitate participation in the recruitment, assessment, selection and hiring stages.