Human Resources Specialist - Native Canadian Centre of Toronto
Our Vision: The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto is dedicated to helping all of our relations on their journey
The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto (NCCT) is a non-profit, charitable organization located in the heart of downtown Toronto. The NCCT offers a wide range of Indigenous programs and services based on Indigenous cultural traditions and teachings.
I Job Title: Human Resources Specialist
II Employment Term, Salary & Work Hours:
Term: Full Time includes Benefits
Salary: Range: $45K - $65K
Hours: 40 hours/ week
III Department: Executive Department
IV Direct Report: Executive Director
V Position Summary: The NCCT is pleased to announce that the City of Toronto is funding a full-time, permanent, Human Resources Specialist position. The NCCT has been growing very rapidly and we are in need of developing a strong, professional in-house Human Resources Specialist. Currently in the Indigenous community there are very few Human Resources professionals and this position will be an opportunity to fill this gap whilst providing expert resources for the staff of the NCCT. To excel in this role, you should be an excellent communicator, with in-depth knowledge of all HR processes and labor regulations.
To perform this job successfully you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
VI Duties and Responsibilities: The successful candidate will report to the Executive Director. Duties include:
- Plan, develop, implement, administer and evaluate human resources policies and procedures
- Ensure all employee records are maintained and updated
- Respond to employees’ queries and resolve issues in a timely and professional manner
- Prepare, review and update occupational classifications and job descriptions
- Develop, implement, maintain and participate in staff recruitment, interviews and selection processes
- Prepare and execute letters of offer, on-boarding materials, police background checks, policy reviews and signatures
- Work closely with the Payroll Assistant ensuring employee contracts and HR information is accurate and current
- Coordinate the orientation program and training of new staff
- Develop and administer the employee performance review program and scheduling, including support for managers and supervisors on supervision, coaching and feedback to staff
- Manage, mediate and advise on staff relations matters, incident investigations, WSIB incidents, etc.
- Coordinate with the Payroll Assistant when onboarding and processing employee compensation and benefits programs
- As needed, make policy change recommendations to the Executive Director and Executive Assistant, HR Generalist to ensure NCCT’s ongoing compliance with legislative requirements such as the Human Rights Code, Employment Standards and Bill 168
- Coordinate, update and track renewals of certifications for workplace health and safety programs e.g., CPR training, AODA, WHMIS and sit as a member of the Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Plan, track, update and administer trainings, certifications and career development for all staff where applicable
- Ensure practices and procedures exist to maintain the confidential storage and security of all employee files and other related information
- Assist the Executive Director and the Executive Assistant, HR Generalist with HR reporting for the Board, as required
- Other duties as required
- A university degree or college diploma in business administration, human resources, or other related discipline or equivalent
- CHRP (Certified Human Resources Professional) designation
- HRPA (Human Resources Professional Association) registrant in good standing
- A minimum of 3 years’ proven experience in a similar role
- Familiar with ADP Work Force Now payroll platform
- Strong knowledge of labor legislation and payroll processes
- Good understanding of the full recruitment process
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills including the ability to contribute to the creation of positive team and workplace dynamics
- Demonstrated empathy, approachability and an understanding of others
- Successful experience working with a diverse population (Indigenous community experience an asset)
- Knowledge of Native traditions and culture is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to earn and maintain trust and show discretion at all times
- Knowledge and ability to work with standard operating programs (i.e, word, excel)
- Ability to write and communicate clearly and effectively
- Well organized and able to streamline, prioritize and manage multiple tasks effectively
- This position requires the successful candidate to provide a Police reference check as a condition of employment
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
VIII Physical requirements: Due to the current pandemic conditions, this position is a hybrid of mostly working remotely Monday to Friday 9-5pm.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute positively to the implementation of the NCCT’s vision and mission, operate in a collaborative team setting and maintain high and professional productivity levels and quality of service.
This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Although preference will be given to Indigenous applicants (First Nations, Metis and Inuit), all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
If this position interests you, please submit your resume and a cover letter to:
Elisabeth Pohl, Executive Assistant, HR Generalist
Apply early - Applications are reviewed as they are received. Position Open Until Filled.
SUBJECT LINE: NCCT – Executive Department - Human Resources Specialist
The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise our HR representative at email@example.com of the accommodation measures required. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.