Human Resources and Administration Officer - The SecDev Foundation
The SecDev Foundation is seeking a Human Resources and Administration Officer to join our rapidly growing international organization dedicated to improving the digital opportunity, safety and citizenship of users at risk around the world. Our mission is to support digital well-being for all, with a special focus on civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups. We help communities pursue digital opportunity, while understanding how to better control the technologies they so readily use.
As the HR and Administration Officer at the SecDev Foundation, you’ll play a central and varied role supporting the effective human resource functions and organizational administration of the SecDev Foundation’s growing global operations.
The HR and Administration Officer will play a crucial role in the growth of the Foundation, you’ll ensuring the smooth and effective running of the human resources functions, including maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant HR legislation, facilitating recruitment efforts, onboarding and offboarding, preparing HR documentation, contracts, managing timesheet software, and ensuring the HR information system is up-to-date and accurate. You will also support the Foundation’s organizational administrative excellence, providing administrative support to our staff, working with colleagues to answer HR and admin inquiries, supporting travel and event coordination, implementing an information management system, and ensuring the details for each function are in place. The role will provide a variety of direct administrative support to the Foundation’s Management Team (primary to the Executive Director, but also to the Chief Operating Officer and Financial Controller), supporting the ED with Board of Directors meetings, administrative and logistics management, and coordinating the onboarding of new board members.
We are always looking for better ways to do things; as part of this organizational wide remit, you will also provide your insight and experience to support the development and improvement of Foundation policies and procedures.
We are looking for someone who thrives working across a variety of functions, has a keen interest in human resources management and project financial administration, is extremely organized and meticulous, learns quickly, proactively takes on new challenges, and is comfortable with ambiguity and change. The ideal candidate will have experience working in human resources and administration roles; and ideally some of that experience will have been gained in a not-for-profit environment and/or working on organizational board and governance issues. They will be a people person, comfortable engaging with and supporting staff at all levels of an organization. They will ideally be digitally-savvy, able to administer the organization’s online work environment and functioning, passionate about the Foundation’s mission, and interested in expanding their knowledge in the areas of human resources, digital safety and security.
Is this right for you? Here’s what we are looking for:
- Demonstrated experience managing and coordinating human resources and administrative systems and processes for a growing organization;
- Demonstrated experience and interest in Human Resource Administration and Management some understanding of Canadian HR legislation;
- Experience dealing with confidential documentation and personal information;
- Experience working with remote team members;
- Strong experience organizing and maintaining compliance with online shared workspaces and filing systems; you are comfortable working with a variety of technical and IT tools, including Google Docs and HR information systems; you are eager to learn new tools, perhaps even seek them out;
- Some experience with providing support for human resource management;
- Excellence in English written and oral communication skills, and experience in taking the lead on communications with external administrative contacts;
- Education in Business Administration, Human Resources, or a related field; or equivalent combination of education and related experience;
What would make you extraordinary?
- Experience working on human resources and administration for a non-profit organization;
- Experience applying Canadian human resource laws, practices, and legislation;
- Experience with financial administration for donor funded programs;
- Interest in digital safety and cybersecurity;
- An HR designation or specific HR training;
- Working ability in a second language (Arabic, French);
- You love paperwork as much as you love working with people.
What we offer:
A rewarding opportunity with a competitive compensation package, strong emphasis on work-life balance, innovation and technology, ample learning and development opportunities, and the knowledge that you are working to make the world a better place:
- The opportunity to meaningfully contribute to an innovative, future-oriented organization working at the cross-roads of technology, security, development, and the growing influence of cyberspace;
- A competitive salary;
- Comprehensive Group Health Benefits and Insurance;
- Group Retirement Pension Plan benefits;
- Work-life balance: summer work hours and generous leave entitlements;
- Learning and professional development opportunities through hands-on experience, peer coaching, as well as a professional development budget;
- A centrally located office (although we are currently working remotely due to COVID-19);
- Being part of a culture that is constantly looking for how to improve -- both our excellence in operations and in our programming, meaning the assistance we deliver to people and communities around the world. All staff are encouraged to understand “what we do” and contribute new ideas for how we can improve or expand our assistance globally.
How to Apply
If you are someone who thrives on challenge, loves a varied role, and wants to be part of an innovative and growing organization, then this opportunity is for you. Please submit your CV and a cover letter of 500 words or less explaining how you’re the SecDev Foundation’s next HR and Administration Officer, through the “Apply” button by March 14th, 2021.
About the SecDev Foundation
The SecDev Foundation is a rapidly growing not-for-profit think-do tank based in Ottawa, Canada. We work globally at the cross-roads of security, development and the game-changing influence of cyberspace.
Our mission is to support digital well-being for all, with a special focus on civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups. We help communities pursue digital opportunity, while understanding how to better control the technologies they so readily use. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on sound policies and savvy digital citizens. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies pursue new forms of resilience in the digital sphere. We prioritize local partnerships to ensure programming is responsive, inclusive and yields lasting capacities.
We have current operational programming in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia, and Eurasia. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, Facebook, Google, American Bar Association, the Public International Law and Policy Group, and Centre for Victims of Torture.