Human Resources Administrator - WISH Drop-In Centre Society
For more than thirty years, WISH has provided a safe place of respite for women involved in street-based sex work. The women who access WISH services and programs are some of the most marginalized in Vancouver, experiencing extreme poverty, homelessness, social exclusion, violence, racism, discrimination and the relentless effects of current & past trauma.
The mission of WISH is to improve the health, safety and well-being of cis & trans women who are involved in Vancouver’s street-based sex trade. Through a variety of responsive front-line and capacity-building programs & services, women can meet basic needs (hot meals, showers, clothing, nursing care and personal items), receive individualized wrap-around support & services, referrals & resource information and find a non-judgmental community to participate in programs that engage their spirits, hearts & minds.
The Drop-in Centre is a cis and trans women-only space.
The Human Resources Administrator reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the WISH management team. She plays a vital role as primary contact, for all WISH employees and managers, for HR-related issues. She is responsible for creating, implementing & maintaining systems, processes and policies related to newly-certified unionized employees (CUPE) & non-unionized employees. The position provides an extensive range of confidential and sensitive administrative support services to the management team, with the daily administration & development of services, policies and procedures, while helping to maintain a positive and safe workplace.
Additional Information: WISH’s Drop-In and MAP Van employees recently voted to unionize and are now represented by CUPE (Local 1936). WISH is also now a full member of CSSEA and is newly governed by the General Services Collective Agreement as it relates to its unionized employees. This position will play a key role in leading the development and implementation of applicable policies, procedures & processes related to the Collective Agreement, and for general WISH HR needs.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the delivery of superior HR services and provide proactive day-to-day HR services & support, in partnership with the management team
- Establish effective employee relationships at all levels based on trust, experience and credibility by providing HR services & support as needed
- Respond to employee requests, enquiries and concerns in a timely & solution-oriented manner
- Lead the management team in researching, developing, implementing and maintaining policies, procedures & processes related to the General Services Collective Agreement & Local Issues agreements
- Guide and support managers in understanding, implementing & following the General Services Collective Agreement & Local Issues agreements, and application of all HR policies & practices
- Lead the planning, implementation, execution and roll-out of HR programs & processes
- Lead investigations and case management
- Continually build and maintain knowledge & understanding of employment laws & regulations, ensuring legal compliance and employment standards
- Review, prioritize and process HR administrative tasks, including supporting Worksafe BC Claims, EIP, benefits, MPP and others
- Research, develop and maintain policy, procedure & processes across all stages of employee’s life cycle, as directed
- Assist with the development of program reports and work with Payroll & other managers to compile data. Analyze HR metrics and make recommendations to the HR processes
- Conduct daily upkeep of the HR inbox, respond to emails in a timely manner and escalate as appropriate
- Keep on top of the organization of monthly positions to post, compile the postings and ensure posting to all programs & staff by the deadline in line with the collective agreement
- Attend Labour Management Committee meetings, Joint Occupational Safety & Health (JOSH) Committee meetings and other leadership / planning meetings
- Compile JOSH minutes and log all unusual occurrence & accident / incident report forms. Track any ongoing tasks linked to incidents raised and remedial action required. Support managers to streamline JOSH policies and procedures ensuring compliance to legislation. Work with the JOSH committee to ensure tracking and follow-up is complete. Raise awareness of JOSH protocols and training
- Work closely with the Drop-In Manager and MAP Van Manager to track staff availability, leave requests, sick leave & schedule changes, ensuring compliance with the collective agreement and WISH policies & procedures
- Support the recruitment process for front-line staff
- Support grievance, performance management and coaching processes
- Update employee training records and keep track of training needs. Support the administration and logistics of booking training sessions, including communications with external facilitators, meeting room locations / facilities and attendee communications & follow-up
- Prepare new employee files and file documents into appropriate personnel files by designing a filing & retrieval system, modernizing the approach to employee files and ensuring consistency, accuracy & thoroughness
- Update and maintain job requirements & job descriptions for all union & non-union positions, as directed, and maintain organized digital & hard copy filing systems
- Develop processes and procedures (in collaboration with Payroll) to track personnel, pay rate changes & seniority as they relate to staff scheduling; ensure changes are communicated to the appropriate person in a timely manner and appropriate adjustments are made to the payroll system
- Lead the management team in researching, editing, revising / updating and finalizing the WISH employee manual
- Maintain and update Human Resources policies, communications and training events
- Promote alignment of WISH goals and knowledge-sharing
- Support various other change management and operational improvement projects; perform other related duties, as directed
- Initiate and coordinate well-being initiatives & activities
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Human Resources, knowledge of working in a labour relations / union environment from an HR perspective
- CPHR designation or working towards one, is an asset
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines while balancing a varied & demanding workload
- Self-directed, deadline-oriented, organized and motivated
- Proven diplomacy, tact, empathy and understanding of sensitive / confidential HR issues
- Highly flexible, good tolerance for ambiguity & time-driven deadlines and ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Competence and confidence to solve problems creatively, individually as well as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to tailor communications to the appropriate audience
- Proficiency in a variety of office software applications including Outlook, MS Word and Excel, with experience in HR / Payroll systems (Ceridian Powerpay preferred)
- Demonstrated maturity, professionalism, sound judgement, diplomacy, confidentiality and discretion
- Ability to foster effective relationships with other administrative staff, front-line staff & union reps and to operate in a collaborative, team-oriented approach
- Passionate about meeting or exceeding goals and expectations
- Team oriented, vision-driven behaviour is a must
- Desire for continuous learning and professional development
- Experience working in the Downtown Eastside (or comparable) community is an asset
- An understanding of the Downtown Eastside (or comparable) community and having a welcoming, respectful and non-judgmental approach when interacting with anyone who accesses, volunteers at, works at or supports WISH is a must
- Experiential knowledge of the sex industry is an asset
- Flexibility to perform other job requirements as assigned
COMPENSATION & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Excellent benefits package, including employee insurance (medical, dental, life, accident & long-term disability, MSP) following a three-month waiting period.
- We offer a welcoming, fast-paced and team-based office culture in a location that is close to transit.
- This is an excluded, 32 hours / week, permanent position with a salary range of $45,500 - $54,000, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Application for HR Administrator” in the subject line.
DEADLINE: Friday, September 20, 2019.
Indigenous women, women from diverse backgrounds and current & former sex workers are particularly encouraged to apply for this position. We thank everyone for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about WISH, please visit http://wish-vancouver.net/