Housing Worker - Yorktown Family Services
Yorktown Family Services
Job Title: Housing Worker
Wage Rate: $27.00/ hour
Competition #: 2021 - VAWS01
Start Date: March 2021 - Permanent Part-Time position (21hrs/wk.)
Location- VAWS – Shelter Site
Yorktown Family Services - Violence Against Women Services provides a safe, supportive environment for women and children living in abusive relationships. Yorktown Family Services - Violence Against Women Services operates a 30-bed shelter for abused women and children and provides related community programs, namely the Transitional Housing and Support Program and the Women and Communities Against Violence (WACAV) Program, which assists women fleeing abuse who remain in the community and the Here to Help program which is a support group program for children witnessing violence and their mothers.
Yorktown Family Services - Violence Against Women Services provides emergency shelter and crisis support for women and children fleeing abuse. We offer counselling, referrals, a 24-hour crisis line, court escort, advocacy and assistance with housing, welfare, immigration, medical and legal services, children’s programs, early intervention for child witnesses of woman abuse, transitional support for women living in the community as well as those leaving the shelter.
The Housing Worker assists the women residing in the Shelter to secure and maintain appropriate housing.
- Work collaboratively, harmoniously and effectively as a member of the YSW team.
- Adhere to YSW policies and procedures
- Provide information, referrals, advocacy and support for abused women and children residing in the shelter to assist them in seeking housing
- Find new sources of appropriate housing for abused women and children
- Provide group education and training on housing issues such as the Tenant Protection Act, living with roommates and information on how to complete a successful housing search
- Assist in averting housing crisis whenever possible by providing client advocacy where appropriate
- Conduct extensive housing searches for “hard to house” families
- Attend committees and task forces which address the systemic barriers to permanent housing to ensure perspectives of abused women and children are represented in the community actions against homelessness
- Update and complete resident files on a regular basis
- Respond to emergency situations in accordance to established procedures and guidelines
- Other duties as assigned by the Director or Manager, Shelter Client Servic
- Completion of a post secondary Degree/Diploma in a related Human Services field
- Minimum 1-year experience working with abused women or families experiencing homelessness
- Knowledge of the Shelter’s existing policies, procedures and guidelines specific to client care
- Knowledge of housing services for low income families
- Crisis intervention skills and experience
- Ability to conduct extensive housing searches for “hard to house” families
- Knowledge of woman abuse and its effects on women and children
- Ability to work successfully and collaboratively with women from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in the delivery of group counselling sessions and a related understanding of group dynamics
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Proficient using Microsoft Office tools
- Ability to speak a second language an asset
- Current (6 months or less) Vulnerable Sector Search
Reports: to the Manager, Shelter Client Services
Yorktown Family Services is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity. Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 416-394-2689
by March 2, 2021. Please quote “Competition #: 2021-VAWS01” and Job title in the subject line.
Yorktown Family Services welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.