Housing Support Worker - LOFT Community Services
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Housing Support Worker. The Housing Support Worker is responsible for providing a range of services that support the physical, social and mental well being of individuals 16 years + with serious mental illnesses and addictions who live within the housing site owned and managed by LOFT/CROSSLINKS in Stouffville. LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC).
The Stouffville Reintegration Program provides transitional support and housing to individuals living with serious mental health and addiction challenges, often referred through hospitals as a “flow option” from their ED or ALC beds or as an alternative to hospitalization. The Housing Support Worker is responsible for providing a range of services that supports the physical, social and mental well being of individuals 16 years + with serious mental illnesses and addictions who live within the housing site owned and managed by LOFT/CROSSLINKS in Stouffville. This individual will work as part of a team, ensuring a safe and supportive atmosphere in the house. This includes assisting residents in their daily living activities, (such as: personal hygiene, medication management, cooking and banking), helping them to sustain their support network (e.g. family and medical), problem solving, coping skills and maintaining the established routines of the program. The Housing Support Worker in partnership with the individual and other formal supports, participates in the development and carries out support plans with residents, and provides crisis intervention as needed in order to ensure a safe living situation. Travel within CLHIN catchment area and occasionally to the downtown Toronto office location is an expectation of the position.
*Note: A satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a requirement of employment.*
- Completion of a degree/diploma in Human Services.
- Minimum of two years related experience providing support to vulnerable adults with serious mental illnesses and addictions.
- Experience working in a residential setting is an asset.
- An understanding of the therapeutic relationship, and an ability to come to agreement with clients on goals/priorities while respecting their autonomy and individuality.
- Will be required to assist in cleaning units with individuals, common spaces or in preparing units for occupancy.
- Counselling and responding skills, ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner.
- Crisis intervention skills, with well developed problem solving abilities.
- Ability to utilise computer data base/word program.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to organise activities and engage residents.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and to interact effectively with groups.
- A valid driver’s license, use of a car, and insurance to transport clients is required.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework.
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset.
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources, Email: email@example.com
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requested accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994.
We welcome and encourage people from equity-deserving communities and intersecting identities to apply for this position.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “HSW - STOUFFVILLE” IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF ANY EMAILS.
CLOSING DATE: April 17, 2021