Housing Retention Worker - Blue Door Shelters
POSITION: Housing Retention Worker – Permanent
LOCATION: Newmarket/East Gwillimbury
HOURS OF WORK: Days/Evenings/Weekends
Blue Door Shelters is a not-for-profit registered charitable agency governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. We have been an integral part of our community providing essential emergency shelter services since 1982. Blue Door Shelter’s mission is to provide safe and supportive shelter and services for people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless. We serve all of York Region through our three homeless shelters:
- Leeder Place Family Shelter
- Porter Place Men’s Shelter
- York Region Youth Shelter
Reporting to the Shelter Manager, the Housing Retention Worker is a social worker, or equivalent, who assists homeless individuals, including male youth and adults. The Housing Retention Worker will assist individuals with community reintegration and housing stability.
This is a unionized position.
- Bachelor of Social Work Degree or equivalent. Combination of Bachelor level education and experience.
- Experience working with the homeless or similar population.
- An understanding of homelessness, mental health and addiction issues
- An ability to work independently and as an effective team member.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with clients and colleagues and commitment to team approach.
- Understanding and delivery of anti-oppressive practices
- Experience with harm reduction practices.
- Fluency in a second language
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Able to operate within a flexible work schedule.
- Must have a reliable vehicle, valid driving licence and appropriate insurance. Mileage is reimbursed.
- CPI, CPR and Vulnerable Screening Clearance (Police Check).
Supports the delivery of service programs for Blue Door Shelters
- Schedule and facilitate independent living skills building sessions to promote independent living
- Conduct goal planning and regular check-ins with individuals
- Check-in and advocate with landlords
- Orient individuals to landlord and tenant rights
- Enhanced support with maintaining safe housing and rapid re-housing where needed, including ongoing advocacy with landlords
- Support individuals with career planning, job searches, and job skills development
- Improved and ongoing links with employment and health and/or medical resources
- Facilitate meetings with family (where the need is identified), with a focus on building self-esteem and supports with establishing healthy relationships
- Facilitate informal counselling to promote independence and building healthy partnerships for success.
- Facilitate food security
- Build connections to community resources and help maintain positive partnerships
- Record keeping. Research on effectiveness of program. Track trends. Prepare reports on projects.
- Program evaluation to incorporate client feedback in improving the program.
- Able and willing to promote harm reduction practices
- Other duties as assigned.
Occupational Health & Safety
- All employees are responsible for carrying out work in a way that does not adversely affect their own health and safety and that of others.
- All employees shall learn and understand health and safety policies and procedures and will comply with them.
In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of York Region, we encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBT, members of visible minorities and women.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and Blue Door Shelters AODA Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
All applications will be reviewed as received, and interviews will begin for qualified candidates as soon as possible. The position may be filled before this job posting ends. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Blue Door Shelters
Fax: (905) 898-6414