Housing Resource Worker - John Howard Society of Durham Region
Housing Services of the John Howard Society are funded by the Regional Municipality of Durham with the goal to provide support to individuals and families who may be experiencing homelessness or risk of homelessness in the areas of Whitby, Oshawa and Clarington. This support can be in the form of housing search, eviction prevention, mediation with landlords, advocacy with the Landlord Tenant Board, rent supplements and assistance with applications for rentals and funds for last month’s rent, utility arrears or other housing related needs. Regular ID clinics are facilitated in addition to these services to assist in the acquisition of required identification.
Working within the Resource Centre, the Housing Resource Worker is responsible for developing and implementing self-directed services for individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Support, guidance and referrals will be provided to assist individuals to find permanent housing and related community supports and services as needed. The Housing Resource Worker will provide resource room orientation and screening to assess whether further services, both internally within housing services or externally in the community are needed.
JHS Durham is looking to fill two (2) positions within the Housing Program. In your cover letter please indicate which position you are applying for. POSITIONS WILL BE LOCATED IN THE WHITBY AND OSHAWA RESOURCE CENTRES
To commence ASAP. This is a full time continuous position that includes benefits. This position works 35 hours per week. The incumbent must have to ability to flex their schedule to work early evenings when required.
To commence September 3, 2019. This is a full time contract position for the period of September 2019 to April 2020. This position works 35 hours per week. The incumbent must have to ability to flex their schedule to work early evenings when required.
Basic Job Functions
- Thorough understanding of JHS Durham Housing Services and knowledge of housing resources
- Work effectively and collaboratively with all JHS in-house services and programs to ensure coordination between programs and utilization of available resources
- Able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Achieve all services outcomes and goals as developed by the agency
- Ensure that all services are provided within the standards of service maintained by JHS and consistent with the agency’s philosophical beliefs.
- Act with integrity
- Communicate effectively (verbal/written)
- Take initiative and shows leadership
- Contribute to the program strategy
- Treat people with respect, considers the impact of their actions
- Manage program and agency changes in a positive manner
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to use internet, social media, and other research tools to identify resources and housing opportunities
- Develop, collect, and display housing search and housing retention information and resources in an appealing manner ensuring displays are kept current and resources are well-stocked
- Develop and implement client satisfaction surveys and basic client information forms
- Completion of accurate statistics, data entry and reports as required
- Learn and utilize new / specialized software as required
- Conduct preliminary screening of all inquiries from potential clients, and subsequently inform them of appropriate services for which they are eligible
- Remain current with the Durham Region rental housing market trends, availability, legislation and develop Resource and Information activities relevant to JHS client needs
- Direct and assist clients regarding completion of forms such as Housing Stability Program, LEAP funding, signing in for Resource Centre etc.
- Assist clients with self-directed housing search, obtaining community resources as needed.
- Assist clients with use of computers, fax machine, copier, printer etc.
- Facilitate housing related workshops/information sessions/ID Clinics
- Schedule housing appointments as necessary
- Answer telephone calls from individuals requesting information
- Provide technical support; i.e. setting up e-mail accounts, internet, faxing, photocopying, etc.
- Ensure that the Resource Centre is clean and orderly at all times
- Provide information on the Residential Tenancies Act, Rental Tribunal process and the eviction process
- Direct clients to resources available in other cities when they are preparing to relocate
- Keep accurate documentation and records as required
- Maintain accurate statistics, registration records, and reports on all clients accessing housing resource and information services
- Represent the John Howard Society on community committees and in community meetings as required
- Make referrals to community agencies as deemed appropriate
- Attend workshops, meetings and seminars as requested
Applications will only be accepted through this link:
Reviewed July 2019