Housing Navigator - Blue Door
Reporting to the Program Manager the Relief Residential Counsellor is responsible for the successful daily operation of an emergency housing program. In accordance with agency policies and procedures, create and maintain housing plans and goals, maintain appropriate record keeping, complete intake/discharge documentation, and maintain safety of clients, staff, and facilities. Support with referrals to other resources, participate in housekeeping duties including food preparation and cleaning.
- Provides excellent customer service including but not limited to professionally answering phone calls and requests, navigating donations, greeting visitors and or community partners.
- Provides appropriate professional understanding and intervention from a housing focused lens in response to emotional, behavioural and physical needs of clients.
- Maintains and supports established routines and procedures including but not limited to wake up calls, cleaning of client rooms, regular room checks, perimeter checks, etc.
- Assists clients to establish and achieve individualized housing goals, and meet with them on a daily basis.
- Supporting community program activities in accordance with agency policies and procedures.
- Working as a team to support with food preparation, serving and house maintenance.
- Maintain facility sanitation including but not limited to bodily fluids, spills and any other health and safety hazards using personal protective equipment (PPE) as necessary.
- Completes shift exchange and shift expectations in a respectful, non-judgemental manner.
- Completes all necessary documentation, including daily HIFIS entries, written records/reports and provides statistics as required.
- Working professionally and in collaboration with agency staff when scheduled to ensure all shift expectations are met.
- Working with clients to navigate the steps to achieving financial security in support of the housing first model.
- In order to provide a holistic housing approach, the Residential Counsellor will: produce weekly housing listings, support clients to contact landlords, obtain credit scores, gather relevant documentation, and coordinate transportation options for housing appointments.
- On an ongoing basis, assist clients with social and life skills required to secure and maintain affordable housing (one-on-one or within a group setting).
- Provide Support Services with an updated dietary needs summary sheet as client needs arise and change.
- Other duties as assigned.
Respect and Professionalism
- Maintain professionalism in the workplace.
- Working cooperatively alongside and supporting all Blue Door team members and departments.
- Adherence to the mission, vision, policies and procedures of the agency.
- Able and willing to promote harm reduction practices in accordance with core standards.
- Attend internal staff meetings and staff training as required.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all client and agency information.
- Utilizes effective conflict resolution skills in accordance with (Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) training.
- Fosters positive and appropriate relationships with clients, colleagues, community partners and volunteers.
- Provides referrals and follow-up as necessary.
- Meets with manager on a regular basis and participates in completion of annual performance evaluation.
Occupational Health & Safety
- All employees are responsible for carrying out work in a way that does not adversely affect their own health and safety and that of others.
- All employees shall learn and understand health and safety policies and procedures and will comply with them.
- A degree or diploma in marketing, business, business administration or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- A high level of communication skills including dispute resolution practices.
- A comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the Region of York, residential areas, housing providers and area real estate.
- Experience working with private market housing partners.
- A working knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act and associated Acts.
- Ability to provide participant advocacy with other system elements and proactive participant planning.
- Interest in working with individuals living with addictions, mental health, psycho/social/physical, educational, emotional and/or environmental concerns in a variety of locations.
- Advanced skills to enhance participant motivation in order to make and follow through on decisions related to housing stability, treatment and wellness.
- CPR and First Aid certified.
- Crisis prevention training would be an asset.
- Vulnerable Sector Screening – police check.
- Valid Driver’s license, reliable vehicle and insurance. Ability to travel throughout York Region.
In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of York Region, we encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBT, members of visible minorities and women.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and Blue Door Shelters AODA Policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
All applications will be reviewed as received and interviews will begin for qualified candidates as soon as possible. The position may be filled before this job posting ends.We thank all applicants for their interest however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit a cover letter and resume to: